Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I was nervous, trying to keep myself from fidgeting too much. Aro had been... well... I honestly think he was planning things too perfectly. After dinner the night before, and his odd need to hold my hand constantly, he has been sending me little things throughout the night. I had gone to bed early, wanting to rest up before our planned day and when I woke up, I was surprised with flowers everywhere and a cute little bear on my bed. I would have just passed it off as Aro being sweet but the flowers... well, they were my favorite flowers.

Lilies.

And lots of them.

And since then, the gifts were becoming more frequent. I had done my morning routine of a shower and all that, only to step out and find a simple sun dress on my bed. And a little white hat. Then, after I was dressed, another box was brought to my room. I was quick to want to deny the gift but I was told that they had to leave the box or Aro would be extremely upset. So, I took the box, placing it on the bed unopened. I would need to talk to him about this need to splurge on me. I didn't need anything and this was becoming ridiculous. What do I do with all the flowers?!

"Lady Alessandra?"

I jumped, turning on my heel to spot one of the guards standing at the door. I never once heard them knock, which also reminded me of the situation I was in. I was surrounded by vampires that could easily overpower me if they so choose to do so. But I also knew that one of my mates would destroy them if they tried. Still not a comforting thought.

"Yes?"

"The master has asked that I come and collect you," Demetri, if I remember his name right, told me. I didn't like his wording but I wasn't going to say anything about that.

"Oh, okay. Um, ready when you are?" I flinched, not liking how that sounded so much like a question. But the more I thought on this, the more I realized that I was having doubts. Did I not sleep well? Were these doubts telling me that something was going to happen? I just don't know anymore.

"Come. He is waiting," Demetri bowed toward me, waving his hand toward the door. I nodded, quick to head out the door toward wherever Aro was. It was odd though, having someone escort me. Really, this whole situation was odd. Why would three insanely beautiful men want anything to do with me? I was just a normal girl. Well, besides the invisibility. But I just don't understand how three men... three vampires were mated to me. Did it have to do with my personality? Did they have something that I myself lack? So many questions and just not enough answers.

"Alessandra, my love!"

"Hello, Aro," I greeted him, forcing a smile. But I could tell he caught on quick to that, noticing that his own fell from his face the moment I spoke. My fake smile probably didn't even reach my eyes, which was normally a dead give away as well.

"What is the matter, amore? Did you not sleep well?" Aro was quick to cup my face, his thumbs brushing over my cheeks. I found myself unable to answer quickly, just staring up into his eyes as if I could find my answers in them. However, I was surprised by Aro's sudden attention, as if he knew what was plaguing my mind. As if his gift was able to reach through the barrier of mine to read my most plaguing thoughts. It was rather unsettling to think of... but also comforting.

"I'm not sure," I finally answered, heaving a sigh when Aro placed an arm around my waist. His free hand had gripped mine, bringing it to his lips immediately as if that would provide the comfort I needed. It didn't, of course. Just merely made me wonder what it is that he knew for him to act so sweet and understanding. Aro was the type to keep many secrets.