Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Finn's POV

It was Saturday at six in the afternoon when I arrived home, whistling. Although tired, I was so happy our neighbor Mr. Dave Anderson asked me to clean their backyard. He paid me twenty reais for just an hour of work! That's awesome!

Every Saturday and Sunday, from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., I worked as a crew member in a fast-food chain and earned twenty reais a day. After that, I would go to the church to mop the marble floors, clean the walls, scrubbed the comfort rooms and raked the Bermuda grass. I have to work during weekends, so I could help my mom with our daily household expenses. My mother, Karina Martins, worked as a caregiver. But her income was just enough for our house rent, food, electricity, and water. There was no excess for us to save during rainy days.

I was on scholarship in school, so my mother does not have to worry about my tuition fees and other school expenses. I made sure to get good grades every year, so I could maintain my scholarship in our school. It was not really hard. I enjoyed studying and learning new things every day. I considered it a challenge that I have to get through in order to succeed in life.

I admit that it was hard being poor and being surrounded by rich kids in our school. But I earned their respect because I made sure to excel in everything that I do.

With regards to my father, I never knew him. Mom said he was Greek and he already died when I was born. My mother was an unwed mother. That was the reason why I took her family name, Martins.

I opened our front door and shouted. "Mom, I'm home!"

"I'm in the kitchen, Finn," my mom shouted back.

I went directly to the kitchen and smelled the delicious aroma of my favorite dish, moqueca de peixe.

"Hi, Mom. Hmm...that smells delicious." I kissed her cheek.

"You looked so tired."

"I'm fine, Mom. I shovelled the dirt in Mr. Anderson's backyard. He was going to landscape it by himself. He was so generous, he gave me twenty reais."

"My goodness, that's too much!"

"Yes, I know. And he was asking too much about you."

Mom blushed. Hell! She never blushed before. She must like him, too. I didn't have a problem with Mr. Anderson. He seemed like a good person. If he ever decides to court Mom, well, it was fine with me. She deserved to be happy.

"Are you hungry?"

"I'm starving.

"This is already done. Set the table, okay?"

"Okay, Mom," I said to my mom and immediately set the table for dinner.

***

After dinner, I took a bath and brushed my teeth. I decided to call it an early night, since I have to wake up early for my job at the fast-food chain the following day.

I just finished my bath when my cell phone beeped. I went to the bedside table to check my text message. It was from my first cousin, Kelly.

'Finn, you have to come here in the house, now. I have an emergency and you're the only person who can help me. Consider the money you owe me paid if you get here in fifteen minutes.'

What!? Kelly was crazy. But I would be crazier if I don't go to their house within fifteen minutes. I owed her fifty reais. That was a lot money, if she would consider it paid.

I took a clean white shirt and faded blue jeans. I dressed up as fast as I could and put on my sneakers.

I was running downstairs and shouted to my mom. "Mom! I'm going to Kelly's house. I'll be back in an hour or two."