Answers-Matthew

I wake up. My side still hurts a lot but I can move without wincing. I get up and walk over to the nearest guard.

"I need to make a phone call. It's really important."

"Alright. You have five minutes."

I pick up the nearest phone and dial the last number I remember. It rings for a minute, then someone answers.

"Hello?"

"Jessica?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"It's Matty. We need to talk but I want to do it in person. Visiting hours are Sunday from 1-4."

"That's tomorrow. I'll be there."

"Thanks."

I hang up the phone and walk to the cafeteria. I sit at my regular table.

"Hey boss man. You've been MIA for a few weeks. You alright?"

"I had a small injury. Nothing to worry about. What have I missed?"

"Not much. Jason got put in solitary for punching a guard who called him and Carter fags. Les, Tim and Mark got released. Our group is down to four. Oh, almost forgot, there is a new batch coming in today."

"I have a visitor coming tomorrow."

"Really? You never have visitors."

"I asked Jessica to come. I have some questions for her."

"The witch your bearer married?"

"Yeah. So, I need you and Carter on stand-by in case things go wrong."

"Okay. We can do that."

"Thanks, Jay"

"No problem boss."

Jay was one of the first kids to believe me when I went to Juvy. I have always been able to rely on him for anything. Carter was my first "boyfriend". It wasn't much of a relationship considering we were twelve. We agreed to stay friends and he fell for a gorgeous jockey type when he was seventeen. That boy was Jason. A few other guys came and went from our group but us four always stuck together, no matter what. 

Later that afternoon, I sit in my cell thinking about the dreamscape. I miss Nic a lot. I wish I knew how to contact her. Things would be so much easier if I could talk to her about what I have found out. I drift to sleep trying to figure out how I can find her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello, Jessica."

I hold out my hand for her to shake it.

"Matthew. You look well."

"Thank you. So do you."

"What is it you wanted to talk about?"

"Sam Owens. He said something to me about you having sympathy for me and my sister. What did he mean by that?"

"I felt horrible about what happened to part of your family and I thought I could make it up by blessing you and your sister but it can only be activated if you both die."

"Which is why you made it where we can't die if we are separated?"

"Exactly."

"So what exactly is this 'blessing'?"

"When you die, you become the opposite of the demon revenants. I have given you and her the ability to annihilate any evil with the flick of a wrist, but only if you are together."

"So we are....?"

"Angels. Or you will be when you die, together. Any other questions?"

"Why did you ever get caught up with a bastard like Sam Owens?"

"I'm naturally drawn to evil. It's in my blood."

"Well, thanks for the answers."

"No problem."

We rise and shake hands. As soon as she leaves a guard calls from the hall.

"Matthew Haught. Phonecall."

I walk to the phone confused.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this Matthew Haught?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"My name is Waverly Ea.. McCready. I'm Nicole's g... uh friend. I was wondering if you have any information on Sam Owens and why he is so interested in your family."

"Actually, I do."

I tell her the Haught family history and what Jessica had told me earlier.

"Wow, and I thought I knew everything about the Earp history. Apparently not."

"How did you find me?"

"I hacked the computers at the police station."

"Wow. Okay. Cool."

"Well, gotta go. My shift is over so I gotta get home."

"Okay. Bye."

I hang up the phone. That was weird.