chapter one

It had started with a question.

​​​​​​"Hey... Hey, can you hear me?"
Frisk had not been expecting to hear that question. In fact, they hadn't even been expecting to have someone else with them.

They were immediately alert and crawling away from the person, (a teenager, it looked like), alarm coursing through them. No, this was not supposed to happen; they were always alone when they fell down, no one else was supposed to be here! They didn't want Chara to have another body to maul, another SOUL to shatter. Frisk had gone through enough with killing every monster they encountered; now they were giving Chara the opportunity to...

They could hear the spirit now, giggling with glee at the thought. It had been quite drab for a while now. After all, dozens of genocide runs get a bit boring and predictable! Beheading the same annoying skeleton, watching the same fish melt while proclaiming monsters will stop them, slicing down the same ruler after doing the same to the short skeleton... Having a new toy was sure to be fun! They couldn't wait to have their blood spill onto the ground, watch their SOUL crack and shatter into a million pieces--

"KID!" A pair of hands gently shook Frisk out of their panicked daze. They came to focus on the figure in front of them. They were older than them, much taller, too... They had (Eye Color) orbs that were filled with concern, (Hair Color) hair that suited their (Skin Tone) face.

"Hey, are you alright? You don't look so good..." They murmured, before snorting unamusedly and looking down at the ground. "Although you did just fall down a giant hole in a mountain. Would any kid be alright after that?" They shook their head.

Frisk merely stared at them as they looked at them again with a smile.
"What's your name?" They asked gently.

"So I don't call you kid all the time, " they explained at Frisk's questioning glance. "Or would you rather me call you Shortie?"
They seemed to smile a bit brighter when Frisk smiled shyly.

Frisk quickly signed their name to them, only to get a blank look at their hands from the stranger.

"I don't see sign language often... So correct me if I'm wrong... Frisk?" Frisk nodded in confirmation. "Oh. Well then, Frisk. I'm (Name)." The (male/female) smiled at them kindly. "Do you know where we are?"

Yes, Mt. Ebott. Where they always were when they awoke. Every. Single. Time. Frisk thought bitterely, but maintained their emotionless façade and shook their head.

(Name) sighed.
"Yeah, neither do I. This is great..." They thought for a few seconds before rising. "Well then, we better find a way out, unless we wanna stay stuck down here..." They held out a hand to Frisk.

Frisk stared at the hand silently. Were they trying to help?

Heh. Pathetic. We can easily eliminate them, Frisk, Chara cooed. They're weak and foolish.

Frisk furrowed their brows and shook their head a bit, taking the hand and pulling them self up with the help of (Name). No, no, they were nice to them, even if they had just met. They didn't deserve to die.

Chara giggled a bit in amusement. And how long will it last, Frisk? Once they see the damage you will cause, they will hate you. Just like the others.

Frisk shook their head. They won't. They won't hurt anyone this time. They refused.

Oh, this will be fun.

***

Saying no doesn't always mean it won't happen.

It had happened. Again. They had dusted all the Froggits and Whimsums they came across as Toriel led them through the RUINS, hands and clothes becoming covered in white powder.