Chapter Fourteen

We stayed in a small hotel in Missoula, Montana that night after ten straight hours of driving and got up early the next morning to hit the road again. Philip looked distinctively cheerier and was glued to his phone, presumably texting back and forth with Freya. Daniel looked worse, it possible.

We reluctantly dropped back onto the bus, which, despite it's luxury and comfort, we were all getting pretty sick of, and found seats as it pulled away from the hotel. Jackson was working on the next instalment of his Name Withheld tour diary for Upbeat with Sally's help, while Josh was laying lengthways on one of the couches with his head in Rachel's lap. She was playing with his hair and they looked pretty couple-y so I opted to locate my boyfriend and soon found him curled up in one of the bunks, about to doze off.

'We literally just woke up,' I told him bemusedly as I closed the curtain around the bed.

'I'm trying to forget about that part,' he mumbled. 'My goal is sleep through Montana.' He paused then added, 'That's a good name for a song actually.'

I laughed. '"Sleep Through Montana"?'

'Mm.'

'Okay. Well I'll see you in nine hours, I guess,' I joked, moving to leave the bunk, but he reached up and grabbed me by the wrist, pulling me back.

'No, stay here.'

I shot him a sceptical look but his eyes weren't open to see it, so, sighing, I kicked off my shoes and struggled out of my jeans and t-shirt before wriggling under the covers with him. He laid his head on my chest and I grabbed my phone, settling in for a couple of hours of internet browsing while he dozed.

Just over two hours later he mumbled against my skin, 'Are we in North Dakota yet?'

'Not quite yet,' I told him. 'Give it another seven hours.'

He murmured nonsensically as he started waking up, tightening his grip on me and starting to kiss my chest lightly.

'Are we changing the name of the song to "Fuck Through Montana"?' I asked, bemused.

'Maybe. Shut up and make out with me.'

I'm not really ever in a position to turn down a request like that, so I shimmied further down in the bed and brought my lips to his, kissing him softly at first but then, like they always do, things heated up. Conor was sleepily mumbling things like, 'Oh my god, you're so hot,' and, 'I am so into you,' and, 'Your body makes me crazy,' and these kinds of words coming from him tend to have a pretty specific effect on me. I melted into the bed and he pressed his mouth to mine to muffle the noises I was making as we finished.

Conor settled back down and snuggled into my side while I lay there catching my breath.

'How many more hours until North Dakota?' he asked.

'Let's call it an even six,' I replied.

'Okay,' he said decidedly, opening one eye and smirking at me. 'I can definitely keep going for another six.'

————————————

Later, having finally made it through North Dakota and into Minnesota, we had rejoined the rest of the group and even Josh had managed not to make any smart comments about how long we'd spent in bed. It was nearing midnight and we were about an hour away from our hotel when I got a text from Chloe that made me laugh.

How's the road trip going? Three words.

Chloe Watson 23:22