*chapter one*

Jayfeather's eyes blinked open sleepily.  Where am I?  His eyes wouldn't focus, as much as he tried.  As his sight sharpened, he gasped. My eyes!  This must be a dream, he thought disappointedly.  He strolled across the starlit clearing until he felt a tail brush his shoulder.  He looked up and saw a small, fluffy, smoky-dark she-cat with lusciously soft fur and enormous clear blue eyes.  "I'm Cinderpelt, Leafpool's mentor.  I have come to tell you your destiny, Jayfeather."  Jayfeather snorted in disgust at the sound of his mother's name, then turned his head, hearing soft footsteps. He looked up (still shocked by the clarity of correct vision) and saw a short white she-cat racing towards him.  

"Half Moon," he breathed as he inhaled her sweet scent.  She rasped her tongue over his ear, then drew back, her gaze softening as she caught his eye.  She looked away as she spoke, her dark green eyes filling with tears.  "Like dew on catmint," he purred under his breath, moving his gaze to the plant across the clearing.  "What did you say?" Half Moon meowed, looking at the patch of catmint.  "Oh, nothing." Jayfeather felt his fur get hot as he realized that he had said his thoughts out loud. 

He stretched and took on his normal tone. "Well," He mewed, looking at the two Starclan cats and pressing himself against Half Moon's warm pelt.  "If you needed to tell me something, tonight would be the time."

Cinderpelt sighed and started to speak.  "Let's just get straight to the point.  You will never be able to be with Half Moon, Jayfeather."  Jayfeather looked at the ground.  "I know," he mumbled, hiding his eyes.  Half Moon padded away from him to stand next to Cinderpelt.  His fur felt cold without her filling the empty space.  

"It is not our destiny, Jay's Wing.  It cannot be so."  She looked at Jayfeather as if he knew exactly what she was saying.

"Oh, you mean since medicine cats can't have mates," Jayfeather mewed. He rolled his eyes. "It's not like the past four medicine cats of Thunderclan haven't either wanted mates or had mates.  Half Moon, are Healers supposed to have mates?"  Half Moon shook her head.  "Then it's settled.  Everycat who can't have a mate wants a mate, and it's happened a million times before anyway.  Cinderpelt, you even wanted to be with someone, from what I've heard."  Jayfeather saw Cinderpelt become uncomfortable and accusingly shook his head at her.  "Y-yes, well- I mean, I- I guess," she mewed quietly. "I, um, maybe possibly had the slightest chance of- uh, I used to have a teensy tiny little itty-bitty crush on Firestar?"

"Used to. Right," Jayfeather scoffed.  Half Moon tilted her head to one side, confused.  "Well, Jay's Wing, that's not exactly what I mean," she purred.  Jayfeather blinked, looking surprised.  "I meant that there was-" she stopped talking to shield her face.  Cinderpelt whispered something in her ear, and they nodded at each other.

"There'sanothercatwhoneedsyoumore," Half Moon mumbled, almost unable to make out.  "What was that?" Jayfeather asked, now even more confused.  His eyes hurt from gazing at her for so long, not used to this much strain.  

"I said-" She paused to pad over to Jayfeather's side. "-that there is another cat who needs you more." Half Moon nuzzled Jayfeather, dipped her head, and retreated to the bushes.  

"Wait, Half Moon-" Jayfeather desperately called, not knowing what to say.  

Jayfeather immediately looked to Cinderpelt, searching her face for further explanation. The old medicine cat meowed as she followed Half Moon, revealing nothing. "Be careful where this prophecy will lead you.  Do not stray from your destiny, Jayfeather."

~

edited and cleaned up version of chapter 1   :D