*chapter 6*

Jay feather shook his head and sat back on his haunches. He had returned from hunting (trying to hunt) for Briarlight and immediately needed a breather. These days he may as well be paralyzed in his back legs as well, he would get tired so easily.

He heard a soft noise next to him and recognized Briarlight's yawn as he turned his ears towards her. He nudged a piece of fresh kill towards her immediately. "Here." He could almost feel her questioning look. "I may as well practice my hunting if I have to keep doing it for you." He could feel her shame at that bit. He smirked, proud, then realized this wasn't someone to be ridiculing. He flushed and stammered, "I didn't mean that. I- uh, maybe next time we can do it together? We're both a little rusty." She brightened at this and settled back into her comfortable spot.

Jayfeather's ears twitched as an unfamiliar sound came close. Too close. Then, it clicked. Another cat was nearing their cave.

Not very subtly, a she-cat came into direct view (and scent) of Briarlight and Jayfeather. Her bright coat gleamed in the early leaf-fall sun, and her short tail twitched in surprise. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know there was any cat in here! I better, uh, I'll just be on my way, then."

Jayfeather snorted, probably for the trillionth time that trip. The she-cat stopped in her tracks and pivoted. Her face visibly (though not to Jayfeather) became red, and she looked about to burst. Briarlight shrunk further into the shadows, hoping this would stay between the cat and Jayfeather.

"Excuse me?"

Jayfeather glanced up, not quite landing on her face. "You're excused. What do you want?"

The she-cat was boiling now. "I am trying my very best to be polite to a pair (Briarlight sighed at this and stopped trying to shrink) of strangers in my territory, and you treat my hospitality like this?"

"What hospitality? You just said you were going to leave!"

"Well, that's more than I usually do, so be grateful!" The she-cat stalked off, obviously hurt but for reasons unknown.

"Hey! Get back here! What's wrong with you?" Jayfeather sighed as he heard her stop, then continue walking. He hoisted himself onto his feet and padded quickly after her.

Briarlight watched this whole ordeal, confused. What in the world just happened? Had they forgotten about the other cat right next to them? Obviously so, or else Jayfeather wouldn't have left without saying something. There seemed to be more unspoken than spoken that was happening, which was strange, especially for a conversation with a blind cat.

Briarlight lifted herself onto her forelegs and began her sunrise stretches, though she was a bit late for sunrise. She knew she would be able to find then as soon as she got a bit more limber.

~

Guess who has free time all of a sudden?? me