-chapter 4-

Briarlight's forelegs ached from walking. Her back ached from sleeping. And, of course, her ears ached from hearing Jayfeather complain so much.

"Are we there yet?" She groaned. She knew it had only been one sunrise since they had left, but she also knew most cats got there in less than half that time. Even for a blind cat and a half-paralyzed cat, they were moving slowly.

Jayfeather shook his head. His mood swings had stopped, and now he simply padded on silently. It's not like he could see that she was struggling. It's not like he cared.

She knew Jayfeather would never settle for her. She was just a nuisance, and even though many medicine cats before him had had mates, she didn't think of him as one of those types. He was a loner. He was different from the rest of the crowd. Or maybe.. he had his eyes set on someone else. Still, she tried to be kind to him, and when that failed, she just stayed out of his way.

Briarlight looked up...and saw a large expanse of rock. "Jayfeather?" she asked. "Are you sure we're going to the Moonpool?" He nodded in response.

"Really sure?"

"I already told you, yes." Jayfeather spoke for the first time since sunrise. His sweet, clear voice washed over her like a morning breeze.

"Then...why is it taking so long? And why can I see all four clans' territories...and are those two leg dens? And why is everything so small down there? "

Jayfeather's eyes widened with shock. "Down there? When did we pass Windclan's border?" he asked tentatively.

"Um, about moon high last night?" Briarlight had never seen Jayfeather so scared before. It was giving her chills. He looked at her dead-on, which Briarlight accepted in the moment. (She later remembered he was blind. How did he know where I was?)

Jayfeather mewed in a small voice, "We're in the mountains."
~

SORRY FOR NOT PUBLISHING IN A WHILE HOPE YOU LIKED IT

updated!!