*chapter two*

"Jayfeather! Jayfeather!"  A desperate voice called out to Jayfeather as he opened his newly unseeing eyes.  "What's going on?"  He tasted the air, worrying himself more as he scented Briarlight standing next to him.  "Briarlight, is something wrong? Are you hurt? Is everything okay?"  He heard Briarlight purr, and he looked into her mind to see what she was thinking.

~

Briarlight looked away as she felt his deep blue eyes piercing her thoughts. He looked that way at other cats, too, so it wasn't like that made her special.  Special, as she had always wanted to be in Jayfeather's heart.  I must stop thinking like this, She thought to herself.  He may as well read minds, he's so good at telling what I'm feeling.

She had always put up a wall in her mind in front of her crush on Jayfeather, knowing what trouble it would cause her if it got out.  The whole medicine cat standard barely applied anymore, but she didn't want to cause any more trouble in the clan. Though he was polite enough to her, he hadn't ever hinted at having affections for her as she did him.

"Jayfeather, can we talk? I know you're special. I need to know how.  How and why." Briarlight looked straight at him, her nerves disappearing as he looked away, his fur bristling.  She had made him feel something.  That was a start, at least.  

"I-I, well, I'll tell you, but we must go somewhere more private."  

Jayfeather turned around, glaring at her with his piercing eyes.  "Well, are you coming, or what?"

~

short chapter, sorry!

updated!!