Chapter Six: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER SIX:

Hermione's POV:

As I'm staying with muggles, one of whom has no idea I'm a witch, it was either buy a mobile or figure out a way to communicate over long distances subtly. It was Harry who came up with the idea, actually- a pair of twin diaries. What was written in one would appear in the other. His... inspiration for the twin diaries was obvious, but neither of us commented on it. He bought the diaries, I did the charm work, and it worked ("Of course it worked," Harry had told me, "you spelled it, after all!").

Harry,

Things here are going very well. Better then I thought.

Bella and Charlie seem happy to have me here, and they're making me feel very welcome.

This place seems a lot like England, with its never ending rain and grey clouds, but it's warmer, which is nice.

Even the vampire isn't that bad.

How are you going? I hope well. I miss you.

Please pass on my love to the Weasleys, and tell them I'm sorry for leaving without saying goodbye. Tell them I'm safe.

~Hermione

Having finished my entry, I place the diary in my beaded bag which is, as it has been for so long now, permanently on my person.

Bella is so excited about introducing me to her future in-laws (Charlie would probably have a coronary if he heard her refer to the Cullens like that), that she's acting like she's under the influence of a cheering charm, all smiles and laughter and general hyper-ness.

Edward pulls up in front of the house at eleven thirty, setting off several of my wards. Bella meets him at the door, crashing her lips against his in unbridled passion. I can barely hold back my shiver of fear, seeing my innocent, defenseless twin press herself up against a vampire. One wrong move and she was dead. And if he killed her, I'd burn him until he was nothing but ashes.

When they broke apart, Edward shot me a friendly smile. "Good morning Hermione." He greeted me politely.

"Morning." I replied, as cordially as I could. He had pulled my sister into a world she couldn't protect herself in, putting her in the crosshairs of a ruthless coven of ancient vampires. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to forgive him for that.

Bella rolled her eyes at my stiff answer and latched onto my arm with hers.

"Let's go!" She said, excitedly, dragging me outside and into Edward's silver Volvo. The seats were soft leather, and the heating was on. Bella sat in the back with me, and I have to say, I was so tense during the drive that my hand never left my wand, hidden in my pocket- undetectable extension charms were a god-send, I could fit everything I needed into a jeans pocket, without gathering any attention.

Bella sensed I wasn't really in a talking mood, and chatted with Edward most of the way. It gave me some time to rest my body, as my sleep hadn't been that... well, restful.

It felt like every time I closed my eyes, I dreamt of death, destruction and of my time spent in the Malfoy Manor, screaming and writhing on the ground, wishing I was dead, dead, dead.

I remembered it so clearly, so vividly- painfully so. When I closed my eyes, I saw her face, smelt her rancid breath as she screamed at me, face inches from mine.

The torture had affected me so much more then I'd ever let on, to anybody- my friends were locked up, unable to help me and a sadistic, psychopathic witch was torturing me. Rescue seemed nowhere in sight, and I'd been expecting to either go insane or be killed. No matter how much pride I have, too much to seek help anyway, that's just not something a teenager just bounces back from- especially when said teenager then goes on to continue being in mortal danger.