Chapter Forty-Two: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO:

Hermione's POV:

When I leave the room Leah's staying in, I spend a few minutes wandering around, looking for Alice, before she practically blurs over to me, pulling me up into her arms and spinning me around. "Bella's letting me do her wedding!" she squealed, her voice bright with excitement, "and I'm a bridesmaid!" I laughed, and locked my legs around her waist, hugging her tight.

"Looks like you've got lots of planning to do." I smiled at her. "How long has she given you?"

"Until August thirteenth." Alice beamed, before frowning slightly, "it's not long, but I can pull it off."

"Definitely." I agreed, as she placed me back on my feet, and I kissed her forehead. "Let's go to the kitchen, I promised to do some taste-testing for Esme."

"Cool." Alice beamed, dancing after me. I make my way to the kitchen, where Esme's lined up rows and rows of food- it reminds me of a smaller version of the House Tables in the Great Hall, all covered with meals. A small lump rises in my throat.

"So, what are we going to do for our wedding?" Alice asked, as I pick up a fork and start sampling.

"Well, you can choose the location, I guess, and the cake and decorations and all that stuff," I mused, "if you want to, of course," I added, "I just thought you liked that sort of stuff."

"You thought right, oh wife to be." I laughed

"I'll have to introduce you to the wonderful world of dress robes, of course," I pulled a slight face, "and we'll pick them out together, and I can ask Minerva to be the minister."

"The person who bonds us, right?" Alice confirmed, and I nodded. "So it's like a wedding, except we can only invite people who know about magic." She said. I winced slightly.

"I'm sorry, Alice."

"Don't be," she smiled, "I've got Bella's wedding to show off my insanely awesome talent, and ours to spend time with the people I love most."

"That's really sweet." I smiled at her, my heart warming.

"I'm so excited!" Alice is just about bouncing up and down on her heels.

"I can tell."

"Any of that stuff edible?" she asked, scrunching her nose slightly as she looks at the spread Esme prepared.

"It's actually really good." I said, honestly, "especially the calzones- they're really sweet." Alice pouted.

"Sweeter then me?" She asked, teasingly, and I laughed.

"Impossible." I tell her, and she grins and reaches up on her tiptoes and presses her lips against mine.

A loud crack interrupts us, and I pulled back from Alice slightly, surprised and a touch annoyed. "Harry, what are you doing back?" I asked, without turning around.

"Um, Hermione? That's not Harry." Alice said, in a hushed voice, staring over my shoulder, her eyes narrowed infinitesimally. Confused and wary, I turn around, then my eyes widen, taking in the sight before me.

"R-Ron?"

My other best friend looks just the same as I remember. His once lanky build has long-since filled out, and all the baby fat is gone, replaced by wiry muscle His face is hard as he looks at me and Alice, our arms tangled together, pressed against each other's body, and his eyes are flat with anger.