Getting lost

// ages 5 & 6 //

Every Sunday without fail Constance would go buy food for the week and new clothes if they were needed. Normally she would leave her boys with their grandparents but they both needed new shoes, so this time they had to go along with her.

Walking into the big supermarket left Jared in awe at how big everything seemed. Shannon was of course less interested in the size of things, he was already mentally turning the shopping carts into go karts that he and Jared could test drive. Both boys hands were taken into their mother's in a strong grip so that they couldn't wiggle away.

"If you boys be good during this trip I'll take you to the park afterwards." Constance promised, smiling at the excited look that flashed across both of the children's faces.

It was decided that new shoes for the boys would be the first thing to get since it would take the most fussing. The three of them headed towards the clothing department, where the shoes were stood up on little shelves.

Jared looked at all the shoes and looked back up at his mother with a worried look.
"Somebody lost all their shoes Momma."

"No Jay, these are brand new ones. Nobody ever wore them before." Shannon spoke up trying to explain to his younger brother that these shoes weren't missing or lost.

"That's right sweetie." Constance added, looking to the kids shoes and picking up two pairs of cheap sneakers.

She briefly let go of Shannon's hand to sit Jared down and get him to try on these shoes. Shannon waited patiently, he wanted to go to the park after. They just had new swings built and he wanted to show Jared how high he could go.

Once Jared's shoes had been fit and proven perfect for the little boy they were put back into the cart, his old shoes were put back on for him and his mother tied up his shoelaces for him. She then stood Jared where Shannon had been while she tried the shoes she had picked out for Shannon.

At this moment in time a saleswoman dressed in a bright fun uniform was handing out balloons for kids at the store. The 5 year old's eyes were set upon a pale blue balloon and he found himself walking towards the balloon lady and away from his mother and brother.

"Hello young man, I'd guess you want a balloon huh honey?" She asked, believing the little boy had been given permission to go and get a balloon.

"uh huh! And... and can I get one for my big brother too? I don't want him to feel sad 'cause I left him out." He asked looking to her shyly, then looking back to the pale blue balloon.

She nodded and smiled catching his eyes glancing towards the pale blue one. She handed him the blue balloon along with a bright red balloon. Jared let out a squeal of excitement turning to run back to his Momma.

He ran back down an aisle that contained kitchenware, spatulas and frying pans galore.

"Momma look! Momma?" Jared gave a confused look when he couldn't see his mom or brother anywhere.

Meanwhile as soon as Constance had turned around she had been struck with panic, where did her youngest go?
Shannon began to panic looking up to his mother for comfort.

"You know where Jay is right Momma?" he asked, his 6 year old logic telling him that maybe she had told him to go somewhere.

"No sweetie, I don't know where he is. Stick close to me while we go get somebody to look for him." Constance spoke in panic, holding her eldest son's hand tightly, not wanting to lose another son today.

Jared on the other hand had been up and down at least 3 aisles and each time he couldn't find his mother he was brought closer to tears. Until finally the duct broke and he was crying and whimpering.

"Momma! Come back please?" he hiccuped.

The aisles seemed to grow in size and he felt like he had gotten lost in a maze. An older woman pushing a cart caught sight of the distressed little boy and she knelt to his height.

"What's your name sweetheart?" She asked trying to appear as kind as possible.

"J...Jared." He whimpered. "I lost my momma."

"Where did you see her last Jared?" She asked trying to make some sense from the child's words.

"S..she was buying me and Shanny new shoes." Jared wiped his nose onto his sleeve, holding the two balloons tightly in his small fists.

"Come with me Jared, we'll go get somebody who works here to help you find her again." The lady stood up and began walking with Jared scurrying after her, his ocean blue eyes still filled with tears.

As they ventured out the aisle together, Constance and Shannon were shouting his name.

"Baby Jay!" Shannon exclaimed, tears falling down his own face because he was scared Jared was gone forever.

Jared turned and saw them at the end of the supermarkets. "She's down there with Shanny!" he yelled.

The lady walked the five year old back towards his mother yelling out.

"Excuse me! Is this your son?"

Constance rushed towards Jared picking up the still crying boy. She shushed him rubbing his back and rocking him in her arms.

"Thank you so much." Constance thanked the other woman.

"Its nothing, I would've liked it if someone helped my girls when they were at that age." She smiled before walking off to do the rest of her shopping.

"Don't you ever wander off like that again Jared!" Constance scolded, wiping Jared's eyes.

To avoid Jared getting lost again she sat him in the shopping cart and she made Shannon grab the side of the cart.

"You scared me Jay, that wasn't very nice." Shannon spoke with a frown.

Jared looked down at the floor whizzing past him in the cart. "Sorry Shan-Shan, I got you a balloon. The blue one, I think the blue one is best so I want you to have it."

Shannon smiled taking the balloon from his brother, it didn't matter if they didn't go to the park now. He was just glad Jared wasn't gone forever.