Climbing trees

6&8

The hot July sun was really coming out strong this summer, Jared had just finished first grade and Shannon had just finished Second. The pair of them hadn't even gave school a thought though. They had 10 whole weeks off of school and were pretty much free to play outside as much as they wanted, as long as they came back inside when their mother shouted them and as long as they wore sunscreen.

Jared and Shannon were once again, outside. Shannon was sat with his legs outstretched leaning his back up against an old oak tree. Jared, on the other hand, had decided to lay down amongst the grass beside Shannon.

"What should we do Shan?" Jared asked, picking blades of grass nonchalantly and throwing them to his side.

"Uh.. we could play tag?" Shannon suggested whilst picking at the bark on the tree. The young boy found himself highly interested in the bark, mainly because he'd found a particularly difficult piece to peel off. After about a minute or so of pulling at the bark, the eight year old gave up. The boy's eyes wandered upwards, away from the immovable bark.
"Hey Jay, I bet I can climb all the way up this tree."

"Bet you can't." Jared laughed before standing up beside Shannon, he wanted to watch his brother climb.

"Can too." Shannon argued, jumping up to try and grab one of the lower branches.

"Can not." Jared countered, watching his older brother leaping up to try and grab the branches yet again.

"Nuh uh." Was Shannon's response, the eight year old managed to leap up and properly grab the tree branch. Shannon then swung his leg up as best as he could and quickly found himself sitting on the branch.

When Jared realised his brother might actually be able to get to the top of the tree he started to whine.
"I wanna try too."

Jared ran to the next tree and jumped to try and catch the lowest branch just like Shannon had done.

"Careful Jay!" Shan yelled, climbing up the second branch of the tree already. The eldest brother knew for a fine fact both of them would get in trouble if Jared hurt himself. In fact Shannon was certain he'd be in more trouble, for letting Jared do something that ended up getting him hurt.

Jared had finally managed to grab onto the lowest branch and shimmy his way up onto it. He stepped out onto the second branch, and grabbed onto a third in order to pull himself up.
"I'm doing it Shan!" He yelled, before continuing to climb.

Shannon on the other hand was now halfway up his tree and pretty much stuck. He'd caught a glimpse of just how high up he was and decided that maybe this wasn't the best idea. However, he didn't want to be a quitter. He said he could get to the top, so he was going to get to the top.
Shannon took a deep breath and stepped forwards, he felt his foot slip from underneath him and the next thing he knew he was falling. The boy grabbed one of the branches on his way down, which slowed his fall a little, but he still hit the ground with a loud thud.

Jared had been just about to yell that he was almost at the top when he heard loud rustling, a thud and then something he really wasn't used to hearing. He heard crying, he assumed it was Shannon because nobody else was out here.
"Shan-Shan?" Jared asked quietly, before quickly climbing down the tree. Jared got to the bottom branch and jumped down, he then rushed towards his brother.

"Shannon are you okay?" Jared asked quietly, not really sure what to do since Shannon was normally very private about crying. Jared had only ever seen him cry a few times.

"J..J..Jay get mom." Shannon whimpered, cradling his left arm.

Jared nodded, and did what he was told. He sprinted back towards the house as fast as his little legs could carry him. When he got closer to his house he started yelling loudly.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy help!" Jared ran all the way into the house, and to his mother who had been preparing dinner in the kitchen until she heard Jared yelling.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy h..help!" Jared had started to panic, getting all upset because Shannon was crying.

Constance, had assumed the boys had been bickering or something when she heard him yelling at first, however she noticed two things that put her heart in her mouth almost instantaneously.

1. Jared was genuinely panicking and 2. Shannon was nowhere to be seen. Her motherly instinct kicked in immediately and she instantly started fearing the worst, had her boys been playing on the road? Had Shannon gotten himself knocked over by a car?
"Jared what's wrong sweetie? Tell mommy what's wrong." She spoke, feeling her heart beat hard.

Jared grabbed onto his mother's hand and tried dragging her out the door.
"Mommy Shannon needs help. Please help." Jared whimpered, continuing to tug at her arm.

"I'm coming sweetie." She spoke, turning the stove off and letting Jared lead her. She'd have to calm him down a bit later, right now she needed to know where both of her sons were.

Pretty soon Constance clocked sight of her oldest son in tears underneath an old oak tree. She ran towards him, holding tightly onto Jared's hand as she did so.
"Shannon, what's wrong my angel?" Constance asked quietly, kneeling down and wiping his tears away.

Shannon immediately moved to be close to her, seeking comfort from his mother. The boy made sure to be extra careful not to move his arm because it hurt too much.
"Mom.. it h..hurts.. my a..arm hurts." Shannon whimpered, trying to stop crying but his arm hurt so much that he didn't know if he could.

"What happened my darling? Tell me what happened?" She responded, bringing her eldest boy closer to her in a gentle hug.

"I fell out the t.. tree m..mom." He sniffed, and rested his head on her shoulder. Constance comforted her boy for a few minutes before looking down to his arm. Shannon's wrist looked swollen and red already. Carefully, she picked Shannon up and moved so that Jared was in front of her.
"Jared walk to mommy's car, we have to go somewhere." Constance knew better than to say the hospital, both her boys were already upset. There was no use in making it worse.

Jared sniffles and whimpered, walking along to his mother's car. He didn't like this. His big brother got hurt real bad and was upset.
"Stupid tree." The six year old muttered, sticking his tongue out at the air in front of him as if he were sticking it out at the tree.
When he got to his mommy's car Jared had to wait patiently for Constance to make sure Shannon was okay. When she had, Jared got up into the car and buckled himself in. He sniffles and looked over towards his brother.

"Are you gonna be okay Shan-shan?" Jared asked quietly.
"Yeah, mom will fix it Jay jay." Shannon said through tears. His voice was thick, with tears already actually.
"That's right boys. I want you both to remember, mom will always fix It and mom will always be there."

[ to be cont. ]