Birthday parties

5&7 and 6&7

9th March 1977

In the early morning Shannon had opened his present from his Mom and little brother, it had been a toy car that Constance had bought from the dollar store since she thought her son needed a good present. Needless to say Shannon loved it.
He'd played with it up until his mother had started getting set up for Shannon's birthday party.

By the time all the decorations were put up Constance and her mother, who had helped decorate, were pretty proud of themselves. Crimson red balloons decorated the table inside the living room and the hallway.

This year Constance had promised both her boys that they could have birthday parties where they could invite friends from school. So Shannon had eagerly handed out invitations to his classmates two weeks prior. Honestly, Shannon was very excited for his party. Jared was excited to be a part of it too, he'd even tried to help his momma and grandma decorate by putting a party hat on a chair thinking it was helping.

Shannon's friends got to his party at 2:00pm and Constance let the kids into the backyard to go play, while she collected the other gifts Shannon had been given and placed them onto a table. Shannon had decided, being the birthday boy and all, they were going to play pirates and Shannon picked another person to be the second team captain. The first person Shannon picked to be on his team was Jared, obviously, which made Jared the first mate. Once the teams had been made they all started having a fake pirate battle. Jared started feeling a little shy, he didn't know all of Shannon's friends. He knew the two that always played with them at recess but nobody else. Jared waited until Shannon wasn't looking before ducking away and running inside of the house.

He walked up to his mother, whom had begun making Shannon's birthday cake. She had been humming a tune and stepping around happily when she almost knocked Jared over. She bent down to her youngest's height.

"Why aren't you outside playing with your brother and his friends sweetheart?" Constance asked, brushing his brown hair away from his face.

"I don't know everybody and I don't wanna play their game Momma. Can I help you?" He asked looking to her curiously.

"You sure can chocolate chip, you sure can." Constance smiled figuring Jared was a little Shy around some of Shannon's friends almost immediately. She lifted Jared up onto the counter as she begun making the cake.

**

Shannon was the last pirate standing on his team, his friend Will was the last pirate standing on the other. The two began their epic duel until, Will fell back and Shannon won. Shannon smiled looking around for Jared to celebrate his victory, Shannon felt a little saddened when he couldn't find his baby brother.

The now 7 year old Shannon, frowned and ventured towards the door looking for Jared. He was stopped by his grandmother, however.

"No Shannon go back outside, you can come in a little later." She spoke, waving him away from the door.

"But where's Jay? Doesn't he wanna come out here and play too?" Shannon asked trying to look around his grandmother who was blocking the door.

"Jared's helping your momma with something very important Shannon, you have fun with your friends kiddo." She smiled ruffling the young boy's hair in a fond way.

Shannon nodded and ran back over towards his friends, glad that Jared wasn't upset and was just helping their mom.

**

Jared watched as his mother began spelling out Shannon's name in blue icing on the now finished cake.

"Ha..ppy... birth...day Shannon." He read happily.