Chapter 18: Surprising Decision

Saliha woke up with last night's thoughts jostling in her head. She kept thinking about Faiza. She must talk to Rubab to further the proposal before she found it to be too late.

She began her day decent, ordinary like every other day. Manal was gone to university. Zafar was often on the phone from California from his assistant manager, Ahmed Shahnawaz. Or other times reading newspaper, Dawn news- one of the reliable. Though he was in Pakistan, his mind was in his restaurant, like how things were and if there was any problem. Shehryaar spent time indoors, protective from the hot summer, lounging in the cool room, with laptop sitting on his crossed-legs. He used his free time staying in contact with his agent. The deal of the painting was at the edge of tying a knot.

In the afternoon, when Manal came back from university, after Zoha. Saliha discussed about going over to Rubab's for the proposal. She told that the engagement was coming in four days, so it would be nice if Shehryaar and Faiza got engaged along with them. There was no time for Shehryaar to think about this, so she thought when she would come back from Rubab's house she would reveal this news to him. He would indeed be happy on his mother's decision. Faiza was a well-mannered, pretty, and educated girl. It wouldn't take them longer to adjust together.

Rubab was gratified that Saliha was serious about this proposal. She came to her house in a genuine, traditional way. Manal chose to come along too. They sat and opened the relative discussion, revolving around wedding and preparations.

"Faiza didn't tell me about Manal's dress. She kept it a surprise until the engagement," Rubab said. "Now I have to start shopping for her, too."

"I thought since Zafar is here, why don't we keep both of their engagement on the same day. Then he has to go too," Saliha said.

Rubab decorated the center table with evening tea, biscuits, nimko (evening spicy snacks), and fruit trifle. In one plate there were sweets. Saliha sipped tea and took a bite of biscuit. She earlier tried soan papdi (specific type of sweet), her favorite one of all time. Since it was a wedding season, she was going to be tasting sweets more often.

"Zafar bhai didn't come?" Rubab said, thought struck as Saliha mentioned his name.

Saliha sheepishly smiled. "He was busy," she stammered. "He said he wanted to come. But couldn't then."

"Oh," Rubab said. "Take some trifle." She proffered, hopeful.

"Yeah, I tried. I will take it again." Saliha's half cup of tea was finished.

"Shehryaar must be really happy."

"Yes, of course. A lot. Faiza is a beautiful girl."

Manal and Faiza were sitting on the sofa, searching for the hairstyle, so they could take it to the beauty parlor. Manal was very choosy with selecting things, that's why she didn't get to buy the sandals. Now, it was going to be Faiza. They would go again, to a different mall. Somewhere where there were variety of clothes and bridal style dresses. If Manal's dress was unique, then her must be too, in terms of color and design.

"Where is the one you were telling me the last time?" Manal's side was brushing right against Faiza's, staring at the images of colored hair, which seemed more like American style. They were simple and elegant.

"Wait," Faiza said. "I saved it. It must be in one of the files."

"Will it look good on me?"

"Wait, baba, you haven't even seen it."

"Okay, okay."

"Manal beta, is your shopping done?" Rubab asked.

Manal drifted her attention from the collection of images from which Faiza closely looked to find the selected one, to Rubab who was wearing light makeup. "No, khala. I still have to get my sandals. And also something to wear in one hand."