Chapter 43: Giving Her Words

Zoha pulled out a bulky hardcover book and laid it in the crook of her arm. She read the title, it was volume 2 of the last book she had read. It perhaps contained the information that she was interested in reading. She carried it to the table where Hoorain was sitting doing her work and pulled out the chair for herself.

"I found the other one," Zoha said in a low voice to Hoorain. "I will study in depth about the model structure. Even if it is not on the exam, I will still look into it."

Hoorain inclined her attention and looked at the opened textbook across the table. "You're making notes?"

"Possibly."

"Can I see your notes afterwards?" Hoorain's excitement level was low after consistently boring her eyes in the page of thousand words.

"You need it?"

"I want to look at it."

"Okay." Zoha listed her finger down the table of content and flipped the page over.

"By the way aren't you hungry?" Hoorain said. "I am starving."

"Not much." Zoha didn't look up. "If you are then get something to eat from the canteen."

"Then they won't let me in."

Zoha stopped amid flipping pages and looked. "I am not really hungry. I have to focus for the finals."

"I know." Hoorain thought for a moment. "It's okay if you have to stay. I will go eat something and then come back."

"Sorry, yaar."

"It's okay," Hoorain said. "If I don't eat I can't focus. You carry on your work." She got up, hung her sling bag on the shoulder and headed out the library.

Zoha glanced as she left. She then resumed her attention back to the book and continued flipping to the page five hundred seventy. The chapter fifteen was thirty pages long. But there were more diagrams and model drawings than paragraphs of text. She began reading the introduction and studied the pictures with captions.

Later when Hoorain wasn't back from the canteen, Zoha thought what took her so long. She checked her wrist watch. It was forty minutes since she was gone. There was her book on the table which meant she was coming back, but she had taken her stuff with her.

Zoha pulled out her phone from the bag and texted her. Where are you?

After a while, a reply came. In the canteen.

Zoha: What's taking so long?

Hoorain: Ammi called me. I was talking to her for ten minutes.

Zoha: Is everything okay?

Hoorain: Yeah. I will tell you when I come back.

Zoha: Okay.

Zoha put the phone on the table and looked in the direction of the library entrance to see if Hoorain was coming.

When she showed up later, Zoha said, "you took so long."

"I know." Hoorain was breathing harder since she had climbed the stairs-perhaps in rush. "Ammi was going for shopping. I asked her to buy me one thing so she was asking about that." She settled in her seat across from Zoha.

"Won't you go shopping with her?" Zoha was distracted from her work.

"I do. But sometimes I don't feel like going so I tell her to get things for me."