✿ Nineteen ✿

(also just a thingy: would reccomend you listen to the song in the media while you read!! it's the song they're listening to at the music festival lol which is "should have known better - sufjan stevens")

I didn't realize how soon the festival was until Preston texted me and told me he was on his way to pick me up. Mat had left the day before, staying two nights longer than I was. Of course, not before leaving me with the parting gift of a baseball sized bruise on my ribs that made it hurt to breathe. It was nothing, though. He told me he loved me.

Honestly, I felt incredibly sick to my stomach because of the nerves. There was a part of me that was excited though. Despite not knowing anyone going but Preston and the fact I'd be spending a night with all his friends in a tent, I had a smile on my face. There were many times where I picked up my phone and started to text Preston saying I was going to back out, but stopped myself from pressing 'send'.

I took a deep breath. Toothbrush, deodorant, pajamas, phone, extra clothes, I ran through the list over and over, making sure I didn't forget anything. Also, the steady rhythm of the words helped calm my nerves.

Of course, I jumped so high I dropped my phone when the doorbell rang. I scrambled to pick it up before opening the door.

"Hey Rob," Preston grinned, "Whoa, that's all you're bringing?" He said, pointing at my backpack. I felt my hands tremble.

"Is that not enough?" I asked hesitantly. I was nervous. Or maybe nervous was an understatement.

"Oh! No, you're such a light packer. I'm jealous. I feel like I take everything except my kitchen sink when I camp," He laughed. I felt slightly relieved, a small smile finding its way onto my face.

"Damn, that's a lot of stuff," I joked, feeling myself loosen up. I went to pick up my bag, but Preston stopped me.

"I got it."

"It's okay! I can get it," I replied, feeling my cheeks get hot. I grabbed my bag from the floor and smiled awkwardly. I didn't even leave the house yet I'd already made a fool out of myself. I felt the nerves rush back, but I didn't say anything as we left the house and walked towards his car.

I didn't really think about the dark bruise that covered my stomach and ribs. One of the backpack's straps rested directly on it and it felt awful. I felt my eyes burn and my throat close up, but I pushed myself through it. I was not going to cry, especially in front of Preston's friends.

The side door swung open, revealing a dark skinned boy with dark hair and a pale boy with blonde hair who looked awfully familiar. It was like I was looking at two polar opposites. I smiled at them and waved.

"Rob, this is Vik," He pointed to the boy with mocha skin, "And that's Lachlan," He pointed to the other.

Lachlan opened his mouth first, "You came to the coffee shop I work at!" Then it clicked. He was the really friendly barista.

"Oh, I remember. You were super friendly and helpful," I tilted my head slightly because I noticed something weird about the way he talked. "Are you from Canada originally?" I asked. He sounded like he wasn't.

"I'm actually here from Australia," He ran his fingers through his quiff. "Vicky here invited me to stay here with him until he finished classes."

"Oh, that's sweet. You take classes here Vik?" I asked as I finally sat down in the front seat because the other two took the back. Preston, of course, drove.

The friendly chatter died down eventually. Preston rolled down the windows and put on some music. Wind blew through my hair. I closed my eyes and rested my chin on my arm which was against the door. It was nice. So far so good.