Ch. 9

Ch. 9

When they arrived back in the village of Cleonae, it didn't take long for word to spread of their deed. Carrying around a lion pelt big enough to cover the roofs of any of the huts in the village was kind of a dead giveaway.

The people somehow seemed more wary than they been when the two demigods first appeared there over a fortnight ago. Perseus guessed anyone crazy enough to go after and then kill a monster like the Nemean Lion was probably not someone you wanted to approach unless you had to. But he could see them poking their heads out of their huts to get a look at Heracles with the massive pelt rolled up and being carried on his shoulder.

The only person to come outside to greet them was the old sheep herder Molorchus. His expression wasn't much different than the rest of the villagers, it had the same amount of awe but lacked the fear the rest weren't able to hide.

When they reached his small hut, Heracles dropped the lion pelt at the feet of the man.

"Your sheep shall graze a little more safely now, my friend." He was trying not to grin but the relief of completing his first task was hard to hide.

"By the gods," Molorchus seemed at a loss for words. Seeing the pelt at his feet showed the true size of the beast. He had heard rumors but always thought they were exaggerated. To see for himself was quite hard to comprehend.

Heracles reached into his cloak and pulled out a small pouch of drachmas that he tossed in the air, letting the coins bounce around so the older man could hear the sound of the full satchel.

"Proper respects must be paid to the gods. I would like to purchase the finest lamb you own." He tossed the older man the bag and clapped Perseus on the back. "Gather some wood, my friend. I am hungry and would like to page homage to Zeus as quickly as I can before we depart for home."

Perseus didn't say anything and went to gather wood. His body was exhausted and sore. Being smacked around by a giant lion and then marching for two days with almost no rest and little food was wearing on his small body. But he pushed through the pain knowing that it needed to be done though. One of the first things Heracles taught him when they started traveling together was to always make the proper sacrifices to the gods. The quickest way to the bad side of an immortal was to fail to make the proper tributes. Gods were particularly sensitive when it came to their sacrifices.

Once the fire was built up in front of a small altar in the back of Molorchus' hut, Heracles took the entire dressed carcass of the lamb and threw it into the flames.

"For Zeus," he said as he bowed his head in silent prayer. Perseus did the same, thanking Zeus along with Artemis and Apollo for guiding his arrows during the hunt. He had made a point of thanking the twin archers at each sacrifice to make sure he never lost his skill with the bow.

The trio stood back up but before anyone could say anything, Perseus felt a sudden weight on his chest and realized it was his trident pendant. He looked at it and realized his mistake. He quickly went to his and Heracles belongings and pulled out the hare they had shot on their journey back to Cleonae.

He brought it to the fire and Heracles raised an eyebrow at him as he held the one bit of meat they had for the journey back. Perseus avoided his eyes and tossed the whole hare onto the fire. Before Heracles could say anything, Perseus was on his knee.

"For Poseidon," he whispered and bowed his head in prayer. Heracles' eyes widened before he too knelt and prayed to the lord of the sea.

Once the proper prayers had been said, Heracles stood up and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.