Ch. 19

Ch. 19

Standing behind them was the most beautiful woman Perseus had ever seen. She was tall, with dark raven black hair not much different than his with the exception that hers was simply flawless; not a single tangle or split end, not a hair out of place. Her face was absolutely breathtaking but also intimidating, helped by the golden helmet covering her head. Her body was the very definition of perfection, every curve in just the right place and her divine form was capped off with the most startling gray eyes he'd ever laid eyes on. They seemed to be analyzing everything they looked at, weighing threats, pointing out weaknesses and strengths while still looking beautiful. A spear was grasped in her hand making Perseus unsure if she was there to kill them.

He wasn't sure he would even try to stop her, perhaps opting to let her strike him down just so he could look upon her for a few seconds longer.

It was Heracles who broke him out of the stupor he was in. He dropped down to a knee and bowed his head in reverence.

"Lady Athena," he sounded sure but there a was slight hint of a question in his voice, showing he had never actually met her but was pretty confident in his assumption.

Perseus quickly followed his lead and dropped to a knee. He prayed Athena wouldn't blast him out of existence for ogling at her, something he guessed a virgin goddess was not a fan of.

"Rise, young heroes." She said firmly. Her tone wasn't harsh but it was strong, like it wasn't a request, it was an order.

They did as they were told and waited, unsure why the goddess of wisdom had graced them with her presence.

Athena surveyed the scene below them, looking down upon the treetops covered in the avian pests.

"So, having problems?" The goddess cocked an eyebrow towards them, shocking them both with a slight mischievous edge to her tone.

Was the goddess of wisdom was teasing them?

Heracles frowned as he joined her in looking down at the the infestation.

"There are simply too many, my lady. We can't kill them, they are too dangerous and too great in number for us to overcome. We tried to drive them off with fire but the wood is young and wet. To create enough smoke to drive them into the sky, we would have to burn the forest to the ground and that could spread to the village."

Athena's hand went to her chin, as if she were giving the problem some thought. She felt herself being watched and turned to find Heracles' younger companion giving her a strange look.

"What?" She actually found the boy's gaze a little unsettling.

Perseus just raised an eyebrow at her but then bowed his head in respect, "It's nothing. I am sorry, Lady Athena."

Athena's eyes narrowed in annoyance. If there was something she couldn't stand, it was not knowing something that someone else did.

"Out with it child." She said firmly. "You've got something on your mind, let's hear it."

Perseus' face turned red but he knew better than to disobey a goddess, "I'm sorry, my lady, I was just confused."

Athena's patience was wearing thin, "About what?"

Perseus paused for a second, wondering if this would get him killed.

"Well, uh, no offense, my, uh, lady." Athena's eyes were shining with irritation and he knew he needed to man up and just speak, "I just didn't understand what you were doing?"