Ch. 17

Ch. 17

Heracles tried to hold Perseus still but his body just continued to shake violently. The blood from his nose was now splattered all over his face, giving a horrific visual for Heracles as he tried to help his friend.

Heracles was so concentrated on Perseus that he didn't even notice Phyleus run up behind him with a handful of attendants.

"By the gods," the young prince gasped when he laid eyes on him. "What's wrong with him?"

Heracles ignored the question and looked back, his eyes landing on a canteen of water held by one of the prince's servants.

"Give me that water!"

Both servant and master were too stunned to comprehend the request before Heracles snatched it from the man and bit the cover off with his mouth. He grabbed Perseus tightly who had stopped convulsing and just laid in a motionless bloody heap in the larger man's lap.

Heracles put the container to Perseus' lips and began to slowly pour the contents in his mouth.

"He needs a healer, not water!" Phyleus said, still in disbelief both at the state of the younger boy and what he'd witnessed just moments before.

"Water is the best healer for someone like him." Heracles snapped back. He held the back of Perseus' head in one of his meaty hands and continued to slowly pour the water into his mouth before carefully pouring some over his face, praying to every god and goddess he could think of to save his friend.

Part of him expected Apollo or Poseidon to appear and heal the young boy they had so obviously favored in the past. But of course, when the need was dire, the gods were nowhere to be found.

Heracles hadn't noticed his own tears until he watched one land right on Perseus' forehead.

To the disbelief of everyone not of divine blood, a little color seemed to return to Perseus' face as the water seeped into his skin and pores.

"What is he?" Phyleus asked half curious, half afraid. "What I saw," he paused and just shook his head trying to truly comprehend it, "it wasn't possible."

Heracles continued to ignore the prince and carefully finished pouring the water into Perseus' mouth before gently sliding an arm underneath his legs and lifting him off the ground, careful to keep his head as still as possible.

"My friend," Heracles whispered softly and he stood up. He seemed to finally realize the audience that had gathered after their spectacle. Behind the prince and his attendants were dozens of people, villagers who had heard the commotion and come to investigate.

"I need water." Heracles announced loudly. "Salt water would be best. To the person who brings me water from the sea, a handsome payday awaits."

This caught the attention of several of the onlookers as a half dozen turned and sprinted off to the west to try to bring the hulking man salt water, even if they didn't understand why.

Heracles tried to walk out of the stables but felt the sharp point of a sword in his back before he could move.

"I demand answers." Phyleus said trying to sound threatening but not pulling it off very well.

Heracles stiffened but stayed rooted to his spot. He didn't even turn to face the prince.

"I will answer whatever you like once I know my friend is safe. But I can assure you that if you stand between me and my friend's care, I will burn this entire city to the ground and then make you watch as I sacrifice your body to the gods, body part by body part."