You, Me, & the Little Things in Between (V, OC) Part 3

"If you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. And to you, I shall be unique in all the world..." - The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Yuki woke up with puffy eyes and a severe headache. The room was still dim with only sunlight seeping through the cracks of the closed curtains. Yuki lay deeper against her pillows, closing her eyes tightly. She couldn't remember the last time she had cried herself to sleep.

When Taehyung left last night, Yuki felt an undeniable pain against her chest like something had drilled a hole through it. It's almost like Taehyung had punched his fist through her chest and grabbed whatever's left of her emotions; taking every piece of her heart with him. Yuki felt hollow and empty, unable to do anything other than open her eyes and stare at the ceiling.

For the first time since she met Taehyung, she realized, she actually felt like she was dying.

Another tear escaped her eye as she recalled the pain reflected upon Taehyung's eyes when she had said no. When she had told him she couldn't—wouldn't—love him. She let out a shaky breathe just as a soft knock sounded from her door.

Yuki didn't bother answering and turned away instead, sniffing slightly. She felt a presence entering her room and soon also felt a slight dip on the mattress.

"Yuki?" A voice called which she recognized as Adella's. "Would you like some tea?"

"No... thanks, Adella. I'd like to sleep in for the day if you don't mind." she said. "I'll call you if I need anything."

"But—"

"Please."

Adella paused, sensing the way Yuki's voice cracked. She sighed then, thinking of the only possible reason. She had heard their fight last night, and caught Taehyung leaving in the lodge in haste with a pained and upset look on his face.

Adella had been taking care of Yuki for more than two years now and though she might be a little difficult, Adella found her to be an altogether kind, smart, and talented girl. It was her disease that made her like this: aloof and a little cruel to anyone who ever came near. It was her sickness that made her want to hide; hide from her true, fragile, and kind-hearted self while burying it deep within a steely and strong facade.

But then Taehyung came along and everything started to change. Adella had watched with her own eyes how the boy managed to melt the ice that covered her heart; to not break—but climb over her walls and into a place where she had hidden herself in too deep; even going as far as to persuading her to come with him over the walls and into a brighter and more hopeful tomorrow.

It was beautiful: the way they fell in love. Adella felt like she was watching a movie as they did; watching everything unfold slowly... watching the little things they did for one another pave way to a love that was so strong, it made her believe in the impossible again.

But it was a shame reality had to come in and ruin everything.

"You know... I understand why you did it." Adella finally said. "I understand why you didn't want to be with him even though it was very clear how much you..." She paused smiling slightly as she recalled how Yuki's face would brighten whenever Taehyung arrived or how her voice sounded more chipper when the conversation involved him. Adella had been married to her husband fro almost thirty years now and she had watched her own children grow, fall in love, and get married. She knew what loved looked like in the eyes of the youth. And that's exactly what she saw every time Yuki looked at Taehyung and he at her.

"Did I really?" Yuki croaked. "But all I did was hurt him."

"Love... takes sacrifices, sweetheart." Adella sighed. "And I know you loved him that's why you said no."