The Books are Alive with the Sound of Music

Only two days passed before I messaged Erik, informing him that, in regards to his proposed bookstore trip, I was game. His response was prompt, asking if I'd like him to pick me up. I texted back my address and quickly headed to the bathroom to reassess what I was wearing for the day. I had fully embraced the academia-professor aesthetic with my navy sweater vest and tan slacks. "Why do my clothes matter?" I wondered to myself aloud, "This isn't anything serious. You are just two men going to a bookstore. It's not as if this is a date." Or perhaps it was...

The truth was, I hadn't been on a date or allowed myself to be overly concerned with dating in years. As much as I hated to acknowledge it, the thought that Erik might have romantic intentions did make my stomach flutter in that nauseating way that reminded me of being in year 12.

My contemplation was cut off by a text from Erik, notifying me of his arrival. I attempted to push my senseless anxieties out of my mind as I grabbed by bag and walked down the stairs out of my apartment. 

His tall framed leaned against his dark blue Prius. The way his height dwarfed the vehicle was almost comedic. He was wearing a cable-knit maroon sweater and dark-wash jeans with a pair of brown suede shoes that reminded me of oxfords. "How cute," I thought, suddenly feeling a bit self conscious about the old blue jumper I was wearing. It wasn't that I couldn't afford nicer clothes, I could certainly support a more luxurious life style, I just preferred function over form. I was pulled out of my thoughts once again by the deep reverberating sound of Erik's voice.

"You look nice, Xavier," Erik said as he greeted me with another one of his Cheshire Cat grins.

"Thank you," I replied while internally cursing myself for the heat that was inevitably climbing my neck and tinting my ears scarlet, "And, thank you for offering to drive as well. I don't have a car these days, so I appreciate a break from public transport." I said as we entered the car, pulling my seatbelt around my torso.

"Anytime," he replied as I turned to close my door; but, just as I was about to reach up, it slammed shut on its own. I stared at the door confused for a moment before I remembered Erik's ability. "Quite handy," I thought.

"Thank you," I smiled at the German, "now, I've never been to this store before. I heard it opened back at the start of the semester, but school has had me a bit swamped, so I haven't been able to check it out yet. Have you?"

As I spoke Erik had shifted the car into gear and began to head down the street to our destination. He glanced over at me as I spoke occasionally.

"No," he responded, "I've never been. I just figured an Oxford graduate, genetics professor would be interested in this sort of thing."

I laughed a deep belly laugh. Erik had a unique sense of humor that I enjoyed. We could be good friends, him and I. As I laughed I started to hear that familiar hum of music coming from Erik's mind. It was comforting to be around someone who didn't insist on me suppressing my telepathy. Perhaps we could be even more that just good friends? "Not something to dwell on," I mentally chastised, "I don't even know if he's into men."

"Charles?" Erik said glancing at me for a moment, concern knitting his brows, before returning his focus to the road, "you okay in that head of yours? You've been quiet for awhile."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I was just...thinking. I didn't mean to zone out." I grinned at Erik to show him I was fine.

The tension melted from his forehead and shoulders. He looked relieved. I could tell he was contemplating asking me what was on my mind; I heard the thought curling about in his mind. I decided to beat him to the punch.

"So, how's your day been so far?"

"You took the words right out of my mouth, or rather, my head perhaps," he joked, "my day has been splendid. And you?"