Preliminary Crescendo

*Author's Note*
Ooooh, a note in the beginning? Yes. I gotta apologize right out of the gate here. Sorry it's been a lifetime since I updated. I am a terrible procrastinator so I can't say it won't happen again. But, here's my effort to redeem myself.

"Dammit Lehnsherr! Sweaty palms, warm cheeks, bouncing leg; you're already nervous and Charles isn't even here yet." I thought to myself as I waited in my favorite coffee shop. The shop Charles and I first went to together. The place I was about to meet him at again.

I sighed and took out my phone in an effort to distract myself, and so I would feel less like a dog waiting by the door for his owner to return. Though, if my mutation had given me a tail, I'm sure it would be wagging.

I flipped between apps for a few moments, taking breaks here and there to sip my drink. Just when I began to think Charles had forgotten about our date, or perhaps it was just a meetup, he burst through the door. His dramatic entrance caused the limited number of customers in the café to turn to look at him.

He was drenched from head to toe. I had been so focused on waiting for him that I guess I hadn't noticed that it started to rain a few minutes ago. As I glanced him up and down quickly; his warm, brown curls were stuck to his forehead from a mixture of sweat and rain, and I could see the water had soaked through his jacket, plastering his white button down to his torso as well. This was the first time I had gotten a chance to see the smooth contours of his chest and stomach. He was breathing pretty heavily, the rise and fall of his chest dramatically pulling at the buttons of his shirt. He must had ran at least a few blocks. 

The sight was distractingly tantalizing. I shook my head to clear my thoughts before I jumped up from my seat to meet him at the door. He was turned around putting his coat on the rack near the door. He hadn't looked at me yet, so I assumed he hadn't known I was there. I was about to tap him on the shoulder and say hello when he turned around and laughed.

"Hello Erik," he chuckled, "of course I knew you were here." He said with a smile as he tapped his right temple.

"Oh, yes, of course." I stumbled over the words as I realized how stupid I was for forgetting about his telepathy.

Charles put his hand on my arm.

"It's quite alright, Erik. I must admit your ability takes me by surprise every now and then too." He spoke reassuringly.

"I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that in a good way." I spoke quietly.

My ability had developed when I was young, too young to know how to control it. With no one to guide me, my emotions took control, and people got hurt. It took years of heartbreak, self isolation, and determination to get my ability under control. I was proud of the progress I had made, and it hurt deeply when people judged or feared me out of ignorance. I never wanted to be a weapon...

I suddenly wanted to feel the comfort of Charles' arms again. I quickly wrapped my arms around his small frame and gave his body a slight squeeze. He was damp from the rain, and most of it had been absorbed by his jacket. I didn't mind getting a wet though. The feeling of his arms holding me close to him was worth it.

I pulled away and gestured for Charles to follow me to our seats. We strolled to the corner booth in the back of the shop while Charles explained that he was late because he was explaining something to a rather lost student. As I sat down Charles slid in across from me and gave me a weird look. It was something like a knowing smirk.