5 - Some Much Needed Confrontations

Annie

"I loved you!" I shouted, pointing an accusatory finger straight at him.

"Annie–"

"No, no just stop talking," my lips quivering, I pressed trembling hands against my ears. I needed to block him out. I needed to block out everything.

"Annie, I love you too," he yelped, his voice small and helpless.

I shook my head, "no," I pressed, "you misunderstand. I loved you. Not anymore. I could never love you now. You left me! You tricked us all and left us. I don't even–"

✩✩✩

Elizabeth ~ Earlier That Day

The flashbacks came more violently this time. These ones always did... The fighting, the dancing...

It was so much worse than a Host flashback. Because these memories didn't belong to someone else. They belonged to Elizabeth.

"Liz?" A concerned voice brought her back to the present. "You okay?" He asked.

Her lower lip trembled, which was enough of an answer.

"Oh Lizzy," his voice cracked. He sounded so sad. He opened his arms. Choking back a sob, Elizabeth fell into them, taking a deep, shaky breath when he squeezed her tight. "Partners, right Lala?"

"Right," she sniffled and looked up to see a huge, cheesy grin. The Invisible Hand beamed and ran a hand through his tousled, licorice locks.

She remembered the night she met this strange boy.

The truth was, Elizabeth had been wearing a mask long before she discovered her powers. She had started a few years ago now.

The first night you went, you felt exhilarated. Your heart pumped double time from the nerves of what you were about to do. You were stuck between leaving and trying it. The pull to do it seemed irresistible; it wouldn't let you ignore it. The pulsing lights of the dark converted warehouse flashed along to the beat of your heart. Everyone was crowded in the centre, squashed together like sheep. Around them were tiers with dancers, moving hypnotically to the beat of the music. All you could smell was sweat and the stench of stale liquor as everyone ground up against each other and cheap beer sloshed over the edges of even cheaper glasses. It was like a trance and you had never been more fascinated.

Eventually you went to the bathroom to think. You splashed water on your face. You paced. And you made your decision. Steeling yourself, you reached into your bag and pulled out the mask. It was beautiful and foreign, ornate and intricate. Gently, you pressed it against your cheekbones before moving to tie the strands. You stared at the unfamiliar face in the mirror for a second or two, before you put up your hood and slipped into the crowd.

Everyone was dancing, but it felt far away. You waited until another song came on and nervously made your way through the crowd. Quickly, before you could change your mind, you scrambled up one of the tiers. Overlooking the crowd, you gulped. You were so nervous. And then you began to move.

You performed a dance you'd been practicing for weeks. You moved with the music, your hips swaying to the beat. People began to notice you, but they wouldn't know who you were. The mask took care of that. With each new measure of the song, your nerves faded away. You began to get used to it. It became so normal.