Chapter 4 - Reaping Recap

PHILLIPE HONEYMAN'S P.O.V

"Ten, nine, eight," the cameraman started counting down. I adjusted my sparkling blue tie - which matched my tuxedo - and stared into the cameras. It's this time of year again; this is the most nerve wracking thing I've ever had to do.

"Six, five..." Forcing a big smile, I try - and fail - to hide the face that I am nervous, completely and utterly petrified of messing this up. Never have I been the host of a Quarter Quell before! My hosting career started twenty four years ago, and finally I have been given the chance to host the 500th annual Hunger Games.

"Three, two..." In all honesty, I am not a fan of the blood and gore, but I love getting to know the tributes. They are the only reason I am here. It's my job to try to make them look better than they are. The number of weak competitors I have filled with hope from my words of wisdom and comedic actions makes me realise I am doing the right job. Being funny and kind is the only thing I know how to do.

"And action!"

"Good evening Panem, and welcome to the recapping of the reapings for this years first minigame!" I take a deep breathe and looked at my notes, making sure that I don't say anything too stupid in front of the entire nation.

"This year, we had six volunteers from District One. Apparently, Septimus Baker, the seventh Tribute from District One, was about to volunteer; however his name was called before he has the chance?!" Putting the notes down, I turn to another camera. My crew knows that I would rather improvise my lines than read from paper - unless I'm reading a fact or statement.

"Do you think this is fate for Septimus? Or maybe just a coincidence? Either way, he did look shocked!" Smiling again, I feel my jaw click and instantly regret trying to look happy.

"In other news, Chester Littleton became the third Tribute ever to be the child of the District Mayor. I bet this will make him popular with sponsors!" Chester's face is cued to appear on the screen now, I think; my dad used to work behind the scenes for all of this and I went to work with him once to see how it was all done.

Noticing that the cameraman were signalling that we were about to change cameras, I turn my head left and carry on talking. "Also, did you see the District Five Reapings? Our first Tribute, Wade Shinola, started yelling about guilt. I'm guessing a lot of people remember his brother, Axel, being in last year's games, I certainly remember it well. District Seven decapitated him with a clean sweep of an axe, and I admit, it was a shock to see him go. He was a good contender!"

"We also got to know about Haile Lord, the haemophilic from District Five. For all of you at home who are unsure of what haemophilia is, I have done some research." I lifted up my papers and cleared my throat. "Haemophilia is a genetically inherited disease where the blood is short of platelets, therefore unable to clot blood easily. Also, people who suffer from this horrible disease are much more sensitive to touch. The slightest knock can cause bruising and swelling, while something as small as a paper cut could lead to horrendous blood loss." I take a breath, and turn back to the centre camera. "How unfortunate for Haile. Good luck to her!"

"Moving onto District Nine, we saw a couple of volunteers. However, before that, we say Yarrow Fairbain and Keelan Luro being forced into the games for their crimes. The fourteen year olds, unlike most District Nine thieves, were actually stealing paintings and ancient ruins from museums to sell themselves. 97% of stealing in District Nine is for food or clothing purposes, so seeing two proper criminals in the games will spice things up a bit!"

"Now onto the volunteers - the first being Maxwell Paisley, the younger brother of tribute Jed Paisley. Brotherly love!" I squeal, sorting out my short ice blue hair. "I can't wait to interview them." I turn to the right camera. "The other volunteer - I know, District Nine has volunteers this year - came from a beautiful girl named Ivory Fennel. The girl is claimed to have no living relatives. She volunteered so she could protect her boyfriend and fellow tribute Yohan Allardyce." I pick up the paper and read the fact at the bottom of the page. "Yohan is a part of a family of eight, and had signed up for tesserae. How many times was his name in that reaping bowl today? I'm surprised it wasn't pulled out more than once!"

The cameraman signalled to me, trying to tell me it's time to wrap up this mini update. "So we have our tributes all lined up from Districts One, Five and Nine. Until I see you all next time, I am Phillipe Honeyman, and this has been the Reaping Recap. Goodnight Panem!"

The cameras shut off and I grab a drink of water. That had gone better than I had thought it would've done!

TRIBUTES:

District One - Majoris Baxwoll, Roxen Redpath, Velorum Tavistock, Atlus Rathbone, Zak White, Topaz Patchouli, Septimus Baker, Chester Littleton.

District Five - Wade Shinola, Pomeline Cropper, Jaymes Germander, Haile Lord, Tansy Spens, Alisma Roy, Nancee Rankine, Geranium Keene.

District Nine - Yarrow Fairbain, Keelan Luro, Ovid Floog, Runyon Hoverhound, Jed Paisley, Maxwell Paisley, Yohan Allardyce, Ivory Fennel.