Chapter 45 - Training: Day 1

SHAUNA RUDOPHINE'S P.O.V

I got out of the lift with Confrey and Alberto and joined our huge alliance. I immediately left the others to stand with Yasmin.

Jarrett gave his little speech, as usual, and sent us on our way.

"Hey, Shauna," Yasmin tugged on my sleeve. "Let's go and make fishing hooks."

"Why?" I ask. "I wanna fight."

"Think about it. Jarrett's hair reflects the arena. It's yellow and blue. It has to be a beach biome."

I let the thought sink in. "Let's fish then."

We introduced ourselves to the instructor before we got to work. Yasmin aced the building, but she found the fishing part hard.

I got bored very easily and ended up making the hooks into small daggers.

Some robotic fish were put into a small pond and we were told to fish them out. I put some bait on my hook - made from Yasmin - and started fishing for the robotic fish.

I managed to pull a fish after a long time. I yanked it out instead of reeling it in.

The fish made a splat sound as it whacked against the floor beside me. I got one of my modified dagger-hook things and stabbed it in the eye.

"Shauna!" Yasmin shrieked. "What are you doing?"

"Practising," I reply, smirking.

"Practising what, exactly?" She asked.

"Killing. Look, from now on, you do the making, I'll do the killing," I said, knowing I'd be the best.

"So you get the best part?" Yasmin yelled. "I do all the hard work. No different from home."

She turned back to the pond. I tried to talk to her, but she blanked me.

I decided to leave her alone. She probably needed space. I mean, these Games change people.

I thought it would be a good idea to hover where Flux and Orchid were. The two of them were learning how to fight close range.

"Hey boys," I said, "how are you both?"

"What do you want Shauna?" Flux sounded tired and bothered.

"To fight. With you guys," I reply.

"Shauna," Orchid said, "why aren't you with Yasmin?"

"She needs space." I look over to the small brown haired girl making fishing hooks. She doesn't bother to look up.

I requested for a dummy before Flux and Orchid could say anything else.

The dummy advanced towards me. I kicked the dummy in the gut, sending it flying into the wall.

"Hey Flux."

There was Thalia. Thalia went and hugged Flux before taking him away. From me.

Theta decided to join us. Something annoys me about Theta. Her intelligence shows, and it makes her super arrogant.

Orchid hugged Theta, smiling. The two of them walked off to another station.

Orchid and Flux had been taken from my grasp. The two boys I liked here.

The dummy I had knocked out before came over and choked me. Gasping for air and flailing, I made raspy sounds for help.

"You're not gonna survive these games," Theta laughed.

Neither will you Theta.

BILLEE WASHAM'S P.O.V

Theta had left me for Orchid for the minute. I didn't mind. I need to be a bit independent.

I made my way over to the agility course. This is probably the best thing for me.

Bramble and Gauis were stood at the starting area. I respect Gauis quite a bit. And Mizar. They put up with the kids who may never get the chance to live normally again.

"Hey," I said, waving at the two of them.

"Hello," Bramble smiled goofily. Gauis nodded my way.

"How long have you guys been here?" I asked.

"Since the start of the day," Gauis said. "Weapon training will be high today, so we're saving that until tomorrow."

Smart. That's a good idea I guess.

"What have you done today?" Bramble asked.

"I got to the dagger station first. Not many people are interested in daggers this time." I mimic slicing the air. "I've also had a small look at edible plants."

The starting klaxon went off and Bramble ran into the course, quietly but fast.

"So, what do you think of Bramble?" Gauis asked in a serious tone.

"He's adorable. He thinks of you highly and I respect you for being there for him all this time." I said, honestly.

"How would you fancy allying with us?l Gauis asked.

"I wouldn't mind that," I said. My smile turned to a frown. "I'm already in an alliance of eight though."

"We're in an alliance of four. With Mizar and Ogilby." Gauis said.

"If we became an alliance of twelve..." I stop mid sentence, imagining the power we'd have.

"Well, you're already close to Auricula and Arlu," he said. "They're with Flux ad Thalia. Vanity managed to convince Briar not to be in the Career pack."

"What about Violetta? Vibia? Indigo? Otillie?" I asked. "Skene and Persei are allied, but they're quite distant. Not mean though."

"I'm sure Vibia and Ingido are the Career pack. Otillie and Violetta...I'm not too sure." He said. "We could ask them."

The klaxon went off again and Branble was cheering. He'd made it through the whole course.

Gauis and I clapped. So did about five other people. Violetta, Flux, Persei, Arlu and Ogilby were all there, watching Bramble jump up and down with happiness.

"Look at it this way," I said to Gauis. "If we get everyone to stay this way until the bloodbath, it will be 22 against Indigo and Vibia."

"Let's get asking. But I'm pretty sure it won't all go to plan. People have grudges and enemies already. I'm sure Briar will do a bit of killing." Gauis frowns.

"Arlu's alliance look strong. And I wouldn't underestimate Persei and Skene. They look menacing. And I'm sure if it came to it, we'd kill. I'd like to get my hands on Vibia and Shauna to be honest," I reply.

"I guess I'd kill Yasmin, she's annoying." Gauis looks over to her. She hasn't moved all morning, spending her time fishing and making hooks.

"Hey Gauis and Billee," Bramble yells. "Let's have lunch. We can do this afterwards."

We walk to the lunch table, informing Bramble about our plans. He agrees it's the best thing to do.

"Let's get socialising," Gauis smiles.

PERSEI CHAMOMILE'S P.O.V

"Think about it," Gauis said before walking away.

Allying with everyone? There are so many flaws with the plan.

"Skene," I said. "The gamemakers won't accept it. They'll blow us up. Or kill us by natural disaster."

"It's worth a shot," Skene replied, flicking his black mop of hair out of his eyes.

I picked up a bandage, unravelling it. "Besides, there are people I wouldn't mind killing. Briar, for example." I said.

Skene snatched the bandage out of my hand, wrapping it around my leg for practise. "He's become a better person since Vanity talked some sense into him."

"Don't you understand? We can't trust anyone!" I said. "Remember Cherrie from the last games?"

Skene nodded. "I understand your point, but face it, if we don't ally with others, we're gonna die."

I shrugged. "Let's decline the huge alliance, but create a truce with most of the stronger people."

Skene nodded. "Fine, but I'm not killing people."

"I am. It's the only way I'm going home." I reply coldly. "Sorry. I'm just worried about our safety."

I grab another bandage and try to make a sling. I tied the stupid bandage around Skene's shoulder, his arm hanging down.

Skene grabbed a random book and started studying the kinds of medicines that are normally included in packs.

"Look," I said to Skene, pointing to a certain sentence.

'Most, if not all medicines included in these packs are not to be overused. Overuse can kill.'

"We could kill the tributes with medicine," Skene gasped. "It'll look like a complete accident."

"Take as many packs as possible. Keep one pot of medicine, poison the rest. We'll then dump them at the Cornucopia for the others - mainly the Careers - to use." I smile. This may just work.

"Maybe we should inform Gauis and Bramble. I don't want them to die," Skene said.

"We'll tell them. But no one else. I want to go home," I said. "Nothing is going to stop me returning home."

"I wanna go home too," Skene said.

I pulled him into a hug. "You're coming with me, okay?" I whisper in his ear.

"You're the only one that I'm helping go home. I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said, tightening my grip. I don't want to let go. I don't want to be here. I just want to go home.