Chapter 80 - The Interviews

PHILLIPE HONEYMAN'S P.O.V

Straightening my tie, I make my way out onto the stage. This is the second to last time my feet will touch this stage; last time will be the time when I interview the victor, congratulate them on living their terrorised life.

My legs wobble slightly. This is the biggest thing I've ever had to do. Normally, it's an ordinary games. No, not this time. This time, I'm talking to pre-victors, ready to send them into the biggest games yet.

And the biggest for a long time to come. Nothing will match number 500 for a very long time.

"Evening, Panem!" My scream is swiftly overtaken by the monstrous crowd, awaiting to catch a glimpse of the tributes.

"Yes, these are the interviews before the games. The major game, the game to conclude all games, is upon us!" My chuckle fills the hushing crowd; they're hungry, eager to hear my words before the tributes have their last night of guaranteed life. "Yes, this is the fifth interview for the fifth and final game. Of course, there will be games for years to come..."

If it was up to me, they would be banished.

"...but this is a special night, right?" The crowd screams, hollers, goes ballistic. "First up, we have District One: Septimus Baker, Chester Littleton and Domitia Midgar!"

Septimus in a formal black tuxedo, Chester in the white - opposite colour scheme to his victor ally, they stride forward, managing to lap up the crowd's attention. Domitia struts on, wearing a bold red dress; Septimus chokes back tears, thinking of Roxen and the dress she wore, identical in everything but colour.

As the three of them take a seat, I smile at them, hoping they see the sincerity behind my emotion. "Evening guys, how you all doing?" I ask.

"Evening," Septimus mumbles. Crowds aren't his thing, but at least he isn't rude. Eye contact is made.

Chester perks up. "Evening, Panem, evening Phillipe," he smiles, waving at the cameras. "I'm amazing. Nice hair by the way." Septimus nods, silently agreeing with Chester's remark. "How are you?"

"Very good, thank you. And thanks for the compliment boys!" Honestly, knowing both of them are going to die chokes me up. "Hey, Domitia."

She shrugs. "Hi," she squeaks before staring into the crowd. Maybe it runs in the family? Or maybe she's being stubborn?

"So, questions. How did you react when Domitia was reaped?" I question.

Septimus doesn't exactly pipe up, but he answers first. "Worried. I mean, my family only have so many people. Losing someone you love is hard." His words aren't as genuine as they could be; Domitia knows that.

"In all honesty, I had no idea who you were until Septimus called me and told me the news," Chester laughed. "It didn't really mean anything to me, sorry."

Domitia flicks her blonde hair, obviously about to snap. "You're a jerk, Chester. I was petrified, y'know, bring forced into this. I'm not a fighter, I'm a da-"

"Tart?" Chester cuts her off and receives a chuckle from the audience. This boy has to make it home.

"Moving on," I say, making sure Domitia doesn't have a chance to answer back - I've had enough riots on this stage to last me a lifetime. "Chester, Septimus, how-"

Domitia sighs as loudly as she can. The rudeness! Nevertheless, I continue.

"How do you feel about entering the arena again? What were the effects of leaving last time?"

Chester speaks up first this time. "My allies were lost early on so I didn't feel bad leaving, even with blood on my hands. I had a family to make it back to. Entering is harder than leaving, however, I doubt Septimus agrees with me, and that's okay."