Chapter 10

"From hell

Mr Lusk

Sor,

I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother pirce I fried and ate it was very nise I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer.

Signed

Catch me when you Can

Mishter Lusk."

-The "From Hell" letter, attributed to Jack the Ripper, the serial killer who terrorized the East End of London starting in 1888. It is recorded that he killed 11 people, but the exact number is not known.

Chapter 10

You'll be back.

His words were ringing in my ears, rage amplifying the noise.

My legs kept me powering forwards as I strode towards the gates, the burn in my muscles strangely satisfying.

I didn't understand the feelings coursing through my body. They churned in the pit of my stomach, awakened from the quick beat of my heart. They told me to turn around and go back, to fix whatever mess I had just created.

But why would I want to fix something with someone I barely knew or even cared abou—

CRACK!

Was the sound that met my ears as I tripped over a large branch, snapping it in half. I swore and clutched my leg as the fire of pain tore through my shin. Whilst I inspected the injury, I discovered only a small cut on my open ankle and a red mark on my shin.

"Stupid, stupid, Emily." I muttered to myself as I continued on my way, too pissed off to limp. I didn't know how I could be so stupid, or so naïve, to trust someone like him. A criminal.

Don't you want to know who took Even?

I inwardly groaned recalling the conversation. Every cell in my body knew that I wanted—that I needed to know who took Even, not only for my sake, but also for the sake of George. His impending death dawned on me, as I knew that everyone was already pointing their fingers of accusations at him. It wouldn't be long before someone cried bloody murder, and the only chance I would get to prove myself would die along side George and the lethal injection.

My strides came to a halt when I saw the familiar blue bus sign, shining above my head like an angel hanging in the sky. I sighed in relief as a bus conveniently pulled along side the curb, squeaking as it came to a stop. I stepped aboard the washed up sanctuary for those who lived too far from work (or those who lived too far from anything at all). The bus driver nodded at me as I pulled out my travel card, waving me onwards with a flick of his fingers. I shuffled to 'my seat', the one closest to the middle doors, relived to find the bus practically empty except for two high school students giggling in the back seat. If only they knew what really goes on in the back seats of public buses, they'd be moved to nausea, hurling into the broken holes in the foam seats.

It wasn't for awhile before the bus came to a screeching halt in front of the closest bus stop to my house, throwing me forwards so my feet skidded under the seat in front of me, desperate to find a hold of something. I thanked the bus driver before jumping onto the pavement, the pain in my shin faded to nothing more than prickle.

A strange calm settled over me and I momentarily forgot about the recent events, possessed by the fragrance of crushed leaves and dandelions. I exhaled deeply, attempting to rid myself of the negativity and doubt lingering in my mind. Unfortunately, breathing just sometimes isn't enough to rid someone of all the anxious thoughts poking around in the skull.