Chapter 12

"I was literally singing to myself on my way home, after the killing. The tension, the desire to kill a woman had built up in such explosive proportions that when I finally pulled the trigger, all the pressures, all the tensions, all the hatred, had just vanished, dissipated, but only for a short time."

- David Richard Berkowitz, known also as the Son of Sam and the .44 Caliber Killer, is an American serial killer was convicted of a series of shooting attacks in New York City. He killed six victims and wounded seven others by July 1977. He confessed to all of them, and claimed to have been obeying the orders of a demon, manifested in the form of a dog "Harvey" who belonged to his neighbour.

He also said;

"A 'possessed' dog in the neighbourhood won't let me stop killing until he gets his fill of blood." and "The demons wanted my penis."

Chapter 12

"So now you finally get it." Vans said to be in triumph, throwing his hands up in the air and nearly tipping his chair over. He didn't squeal when it wobbled on one foot, instead he resigned to laughing, enjoying the moment of adrenaline before he moved his weight forwards, bringing the chair back to stand-still.

"Hold up." I said, holding a hand up for emphasis. "How exactly do you know that it was a guard?"

"Come on!" He laughed. "As if it isn't obvious!" I raised an unimpressed eyebrow and sunk back into my seat. He sighed and leaned his sculpted arms on the table. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you haven't found anything on any inmate, don't you think that its because none of us have done anything wrong?"

I thought long and hard, going over my answer in my head before I opened my mouth to speak it. The way he said 'us' catapulted me back to reality; he was a prisoner and I was just a girl. I would never be included in the family of thieves and that meant that I would always—always be in danger of them. This fact didn't surprise me, but it didn't fail to send a shiver of discomfort down my spine.

Sensing my hesitation, he continued to speak.

"Haven't you ever seen the corruption in this place? Don't you ever wonder why so many things go wrong?" He asked, staring me straight in the eyes. I would be lying if I said no, or that everything in this place was forward and done correctly, because it wasn't. I had seen first hand what double-dealing and wagers could do to a place of such loneliness and greed. I knew that it had also had a hand in what had happened to George and why he was locked in another cell, awaiting judgment.

"Just because a place is corrupt does not mean those in charge are responsible." I said, carefully wording my answers.

"That is where you are wrong, Emily. You are tunnelling your vision because you do not want to admit that your whole life is being poisoned by corruption."

"My life is not poisoned." I spat, anger beginning to seep into my voice.

"Oh but it is! Corruption works in many ways, but it will always sneak into a persons life before they realise it is even there. It is slow at first, and like the snowball effect, it picks up speed until it is a raging force to be reckoned with! You will never see it coming. Not before it is too late. It's what happened to all of us who are trapped inside of this hellhole, its what happened to the people in charge, and its what will happen to you." Upon hearing his words, my anger turned into rage.

"How dare you say such a thing! That will never happen to me!" My breathing quickened as my hands curled into fists, my nails making moons on my palms.

"It's already begun, Emily. The more you try to deny it, the worst it will become."

"Stop saying that." I hissed. "I will never be corrupted. I am true to my work and I will always strive to prove innocence and guilt."