1. I'm blown away

I'm already standing for 10 minutes in front of the traffic light. The traffic in Bucharest is really crazy. Cars driving through red signal lights, motorcycles are everywhere, people crossing over the streets without looking if any car is entering. Everywhere you hear music popping up from the open windows of the often old vehicles. And speaking of noise, Romanian men are very macho and start to whistle or yelling something when they see a beautiful woman. Not that I don't like  the attention of men, but sometimes I'm not completely comfortable being alone in this foreign country.

I'm now exactly 3 months working in Bucharest as an astronomer for the European Space Education Resource Offices (ESERO). As a young girl, I was always dreaming of living in another country. Belgium has been too small for me. After I graduated as a master of astronomy and astrophysics, I've applied immediately for a position at ESERO. Originally I worked for 2 years in the department of Portugal, but I was detached to Romania because of the urgent need of having somebody there.

And now I'm here, alone in a strange country. I must admit that I feel lonely, I'm working late every day and haven't had the chance to explore the city or to make friends. The people at work are much older than me and act like boring scientists. Don't get me wrong, I'm also very passionate about my work, but my colleagues are extremely colourless. They are so focused on their jobs and never make time to have an outside work conversation. I'm missing so hard chit-chats, having proper lunches outside and going out.

Luckily I'll spend my summer holidays at home. Still 2 months to go, I'm really looking forward to it and counting every day until August.

Today it's very hot in the city. I'm wearing a revealing summer dress that accentuates my female curves and light tanned skin. Nature has been very kind to me and blessed me with big greenish blue eyes, long shiny brown hair and a slim, sensual body. In fact my short dress is not completely appropriate for work, but I really don't care. It's just too warm to wear something more covered. It's 21.00 and the temperature is still 27 degrees. It will be boiling hot in my flat, again a long night to go without sleeping. I sighed and decided to cross the street, also ignoring the traffic lights like the rest of the Romanians.

I follow the confident steps of a boy in front me and start to walk in the direction of the other side. After only 2 meters of walking,  I hear the terrifying sound of squealing tyres next to me. Startled by this noise and a light bump, I collapse on the hard tarmac. The car has hit me slightly and I feel the skin on my knees bursting open by the fall on the ground. Tears are pricking in my eyes, not from pain, but from frustration. For the first time I realize that I'm not happy here, it has been a mistake to come to this country.

I hear the load slam of a closing car door and a guy starts to swear." Fuck, what were you fucking doing? Do you think it's fucking normal to run just like that over the fucking street? What the fucking hell were you thinking?"

Tears are floating over my cheeks. I feel so angry and at the same time upset, I hate this city. I'm not in the mood for this kind of shit, whoever comes out of this car will be definitely offended by my growing outburst of frustration. I hear his footsteps coming in my direction. Prepared for my attack, I look up with an angry face and I'm completely blown away by what I see. 

I'm staring in sensual maroon eyes which leaves me completely speechless. The cursing doesn't match the beauty of this man, I feel bewitched by his appearance. His face softens when he glares at me. He pulls out his hand and lifts me up from the ground. I groan softly when I feel the pain of my bruised skin.

He pulls me closer and wipes the tears out of my cheeks. I'm hypnotised by his gaze, I have never seen such a beautiful man, so raw and mysterious. He takes my head in his hands and says ,"Are you ok darling. You can't walk blindly over the street. You got almost run over by my car. I would never forgive myself if I would have hurt such a pretty girl like you." Despite of the pain and tears I still could feel my face blushing.

"Gorgeous, tell me your name". His hot breath floats over my face, making goose bumps pebble my skin. I can smell the scent of cigarettes and masculinity. I manage to come back to earth and clear my throat. "I'm sorry, I was already waiting for a long time to cross the street and... "

"That's not what I asked darling", he said abruptly," I asked what's your name". Surprised by his blunt answer, I say softly "I'm Eva". He keeps glaring at me, like he is scanning my whole appearance." Eva", he paused for a moment and said firmly " get in my car".

"Uhm what?" I gave him a puzzled look, "I can't come with you. I don't even know who you are. I need to go to my place and maybe contact a doctor".

"Eva, that was not a question but a fucking order. Get in my fucking car, I'll take care of you".

He takes my hand and guides me roughly to the passenger seat. The crowd that surrounded us like paparazzi, leaves the scene and disappears again in the traffic.

The refreshing cold air of airco is a nice welcome when I settle myself in the seat. His car is completely different from the most of the Romanian cars I have seen. It's a classy black BMW and the inside breaths luxury. The guy takes place next to me and starts the engine. I feel my heart beating very fast when we are driving in silence.

OMG, what I'm doing, what if he is a serial killer, or he wants to rape me. He looks definitely dangerous. I try to glance discretely in his direction to observe him. He looks very sexy with his tanned skin, stubble beard, dirty blonde hair and strong body wrapped in a black suit. Even with clothes on you can see he has a muscular and very manly shape. I spot a tattoo of a pin up girl in his neck. This guy has really a 'don't mess with me' attitude.

He notices me gazing, stares straight back at me and a mischievous grin appears on his face. Feeling busted, I look shyly away outside the window. My face is burning from embarrassment; I don't even feel my painful knees anymore.

"I'm Nigel", he says with a husky voice and lays his hand on my upper leg, softly rubbing with his thumb over my bare skin. "Relax, I'll not hurt you".