Chapter 1

Lauren's P.O.V.

"Lauren! Wake up!" My grade 7 teacher, Mrs Rogers, yelled from the front of the classroom. I accidentally fell asleep again. I didn't mean to, I was just really tired. Trevor, my stepfather, has been staying up drunk lately so I can't get to sleep.

"Sorry," I say. I don't want to seem rude and my teacher is really strict and expects us to be Angels. It's annoying but I don't have any choice but to obey.

"I expect better from you," Mrs Rogers tells me. I nod silently as I don't want to be embarrassed by replying again.

-----

"How was your day?" My bus driver asks me. He's really nice, he's also one of the few people who ask me that question. Trevor doesn't care, neither to the kids at school or in my neighbourhood.

"It was the usual, boring and unsuccessful," I tell him. He nods understandingly.

"Don't worry, you're a good kid. It'll get better," He says.

"I hope so," I walk down the bus steps and onto the footpath, waving to the bus driver as he continues down the road. He gives me a brief wave and goes on his way.

I don't really have any friends. I never have. I've always been quiet, it's just how I am. I have only one friend. Lucy. She lives in a different state, we're 11 hours apart and it kills me. When I'm alone and sad I just really want her to be right next to me but she's not, she can't help it though.

The walk to my apartment from the bus stop takes about 15 minutes. I don't want the bus driver seeing where I actually live and feeling sorry for me so I get him to drop me at a lovely, clean, well-managed apartment building in a different neighbourhood.

The apartment Trevor and I live in is awful. There is a bedroom and office, where I sleep, half bathroom and a tiny kitchen/ living area.

I live with just Trevor because my mum, Reida, died a while back after getting hit by a car and my actual dad left my mum when I was 1 and I haven't heard from him since. Trevor is the only parent figure in my life which is sad but he does let me do whatever I want because half the time he's drunk and wouldn't even be able to remember my name.

Mum met Trevor when I was around 5 then she died a year later leaving Trevor with no real option than to look after me. He used to be a really great person from what I can remember then he took a turn for the worst once he found alcohol. He never physically or verbally abused me. He just made sure there was food in the cupboard and that I was healthy and safe but aside from that I didn't really see much of him.

-----

I picked up my iPad off the desk near my bed (mattress on the floor) and turned it on. I only had an iPad because the school I go to supplies them and we take them home and all that jazz. My iPad is the only reason I know Lucy. Without it, I wouldn't know the one girl who keeps me sane, Lucy.

I opened up Instagram and went to my messages. I had three messages from Lucy and some other random person that I won't ever reply to.

Lucy: Hey! wud?

Laur: Nothin. u wanna facetime later?

I replied. Lucy answered almost immediately.

Lucy: sure. I'll go in my room. rosa is in the kitchen

Lucy, like myself, doesn't live with her real parents. She lives with a foster carer named Rosa who doesn't let her FaceTime or watch YouTube so Lucy does it behind her back, I don't really care because it's the only way I can talk to her.

-----

Lucy and I had FaceTimed for nearly an hour before I heard Trevor open the door. I told Lucy to wait for a moment whilst I went and checked on Trevor because he wasn't normally home this early, or while the sun was still up.

"I have this for you," Trevor slurred his words and held an envelope in his hand, "It was in the mailbox,"

I took the letter from his hand and smiled. I took it back into my room and sat in front of my iPad where I could see Lucy on the screen. I looked at the envelope and it was addressed to Miss Lauren Bridge so I waved it in front of the camera for Lucy to see.

"I got a letter," I said.

"Cool, open it!" Lucy exclaimed. I heard a noise come from the iPad. Lucy turned around and looked at her bedroom door. I'm guessing Rosa was saying something to her.

"Rosa says she has something of mine, I'll be back in a sec," Lucy got up and went to Rosa to get whatever she had.

She came back on the screen holding an envelope. She looked at me excitedly.

"We both got letters on the same day!"Lucy laughed.

"I know," I laughed. What a coincidence!

"Open them on the count of three?"

"Sure! One, two... three!" I squealed quietly vigorously opening my envelope.

I looked inside the now opened/ ripped envelope and pulled out a piece of neatly folded paper.

Lucy did the same. She unfolded hers so I did too.

I read the note,

Dear Lauren,

I'm so happy to be able to tell you this! You and another lucky viewer have been given free tickets to meet the Ballinger family at their show in Canberra, Australia.

Your airfares and transport have all been paid for and we will be expecting you on the 15th.

We hope you can make it!

Love- Chris, Jess, Rachel, Colleen and Joshua

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!

"Eeeee!" I heard from my iPad.

"I'm going to Canberra Lu!"

"So am I!" Lucy squeals.

"I'm meeting the Ballinger family!" I almost scream.

"So am I!"

"I'm going to watch their show!"

"So am I!"

"It's all free!" I squeal.

"So am.. I know!" Lucy squeals with me.

We sat silently staring at our notes for what seemed like eternity...

A/N
Hey! Like it so far?
Be sure to vote, comment and add to your library if you enjoyed it! New chapters will be published every 2 days.
Have an awesome day!

~Hailey