Chapter 3

Lauren's P.O.V.

10 days later

Today is the day!

The day I pack for the Ballinger show because I leave tomorrow morning and I want to be ready.

A taxi is picking me up from our apartment and taking me to the airport. I have the aeroplane tickets and accommodation will be provided for me when I get to Canberra. I'm more than excited to meet the Ballingers but most excited to meet them with Lu!

It's Saturday, thank goodness, so I have time to pack without worrying about school. I get A's in majority of my classes except Art as I don't like sitting still for such long periods of time while perfecting my work. It just seems like a waste to me. I get an average of a B in Art. My favourite class would have to be either English or Agriculture. In Agriculture (Ag) we get to ride the school's horses, train the cows and look after all the other animals: pigs, chickens, goats, sheep.

I walk out into the kitchen to see Trevor lying in his bedroom. He has the door open so I can see in. I don't know whether he's passed out or just sleeping but he was out really late last night so I think it's best to just let him stay in his bed for a while.

I open the fridge and grab the milk, eggs and some veggies. I'm going to make an omelet. I learnt how to make them last week and I love the taste and how easy they are to make.

-----

I've finished packing. It's nearly 3PM and I'm extremely tired. I leave at 9AM tomorrow to head to the airport then to Canberra.

"Lauren," I hear Trevor call from his bedroom.

"Yeah," I call back. I don't hear a reply so I get up and check on him. He's passed out on the bed. He probably woke up then his hangover took over. I felt kind of sorry for him but he did bring it upon himself. As long as he treats me well and provides for me the necessities I need then I'll let him do what he wants.

I go on my iPad and see if Lu has sent me any messages which she hasn't. I quickly type hello and that I'm excited for tomorrow and put my iPad back in my room.

I'm bored so I decide to go for a walk. I'll just go around the block or something like that. I'm a reasonably fit person. I don't like running long distance but I am a good short distance runner. I never compete in school athletic events as I don't like being noticed by lots. I've timed myself running up and down the road multiple times.

I lock the door behind me and step into the foul smelling corridor. The smell is a mixture of alcohol, smoke and burnt toast. It's not flattering but I've become accustomed to it so it's not as noticeable.

Trevor doesn't smoke. He never has around me anyway. I know he does care for me, if he didn't I wouldn't be alive. I do like his awful company sometimes when I feel really alone.

I plug in my earphones that are connected to my iPad and sing along to Does He Know? by One Direction. I have to admit, I don't like them but I don't mind their music.

Once I get to the cafe three blocks away I decide to turn around and head back. As I get to my street I hear weird noises. I don't pay attention to it as I don't like being noticed but I glance to my left and see two teenage boys punching each other. They both have blood and saliva dripping from their faces. The taller boy throws a punch and hits the other in the back of the head causing him to collapse to the ground. I turn away. I don't really want to see anymore.

-----

I hear our t.v. on and I come out into the living area. Trevor is sleeping on the armchair and the news is on. I see a headline about a boy 'king hit' yesterday afternoon. I remember the fight I'd witnessed and felt immediately guilty for not going and seeing if he was alright but that could have been dangerous, very dangerous.

He was in a coma and had severe abdominal injuries. Oh well, you shouldn't get in fights.

-----

I had made spaghetti for Trevor and I to eat for dinner. It was actually really good.

I was ready to go to sleep at 8PM. The quicker I went to sleep the quicker tomorrow came and tomorrow was going to be one of the biggest days of my life. I shut my eyes and start to drift off easily.

I get out of the taxi and walk in the front of the theatre. I see a girl my height with long blonde-brown hair talking to what looks like a worker. I see her turn around and realise who she is. Lucy! I race over to her and embrace her in a hug. She doesn't hug back. In fact she pushes me away from her and stares at me blankly for what feels like forever.

"Who are you supposed to be?" She asks. My heart drops and my eyes fill with tears. I start to sob, I sob and sob and sob. I bring my hand to my face to wipe away the tears that have fallen.

I jolt upwards. I see light streaming through my window. It's morning! I meet Lucy today. Despite my horrible dream last I'm pumped. I know Lu isn't like that. She's sweet and caring and would do anything for me and vice versa.

I jump out of bed and go make some breakfast for myself. I have to be ready by 9 which gives me just under 2 hours.

A/N

Hey! How ya liking it so far?
Do you like Lucy or Lauren better? Be sure to comment below letting me know.
Have an awesome day!

~Hailey