Chapter Twenty-Two: Goodbye, I Love You

There was something so familiar about this place. She didn't recognize it nor did she remember ever coming near this street, but it was familiar. It was a fair way from the upper side she had grown up in. The house had the white picket fence and a lovely front decking with potted plants decorating the little chairs and table outside. It was a simple single story home with a giant tree in the front yard — all set with a swing on one side and a tire swing on the other. However, years of neglect had turned the once green grass brown, and the flowers had either died or outgrown their potted homes.

As she slowly exited the car, a thought randomly fluttered through her mind. I wonder where Daddy put my bike.

Her eyes widened as she placed her hand on her forehead, mentally freaking out about that one little thought. She most certainly did not own a bike at her parent's house, well, not anymore anyway. Slightly perturbed, she made her way to her parents, still staring up at the house as her mother came and took her hand.

"Aira, sweetie, if you want to leave..." Emma started.

Aira shook her head. "No..."

Susan came up behind her with a soft smile and took the girls free arm gently. "You've grown up so much, darling. I'm proud of you. Just say the word, and we'll leave."

Aira was still staring with a vacant expression when she asked, "Why are we here?"

Both Susan and Emma's mouths formed a straight line as they watched her like a hawk.

"To help you grieve." Susan's eyes were hard and determined as if she knew this is what Aira needed to see to be able to come to terms with her past.

It was then that Aira finally realized where they were. She remembered this place. She had lived here before that day. All Aira could do was nod before untangling herself from the two worried women and making her way up to the front patio. She was hesitant as her hand hovered over the doorknob. She went to pull back her hand before someone caught her wrist.

Looking up with glassy blue eyes, she smiled warily at Drake. "Hey, Dad..."

Drake smiled back and placed her hand back onto the door. "It's okay to be scared because I'm scared too."

Aira sniffled and shook her head. Next to Van, Drake was the strongest person she had ever known. It was hard to think he was just as scared as she was. She knew what they were trying to do. Emma and Drake were giving her a gift, a choice to remember and throw all that pain away for good. Aira had known Van would have told them about her confession about knowing the truth, but she hadn't expected them to go this far just for her.

With Drake's strength behind her, Aira felt that she was ready to venture inside. Turning the handle on the door, she pushed it open and peered into the home she had long ago forgotten.

Aira was met with a dark hallway and two open doors on either side. They were wide open, revealing two bedrooms. Slowly, she stepped inside the house and carefully looked into the bedroom to her left. It was obviously a young man's bedroom with just a single bed and a desk. The floor was barely visible under the piles of clothes scattered across the room.

"Ian..." Aira whispered. This was her brother's room. She had remembered her mother yelling at him to constantly clean his room. He never did.

Through the darkness, she could faintly see a calendar pinned to the wall. Walking inside and peering at the old and frayed paper, it was stuck on April. There were dates for random things written down, but one certain date stuck out to her the most — April 16th: camping with family and a line drawn through until April 23rd.