Prologue: Ripples

~*~*~*~

"Your Majesty... it's been nearly eighteen years," the dragon-like creature mentioned quietly.

I know!" He boomed, slamming a fist on the marble table. The stalactites above them quivered and threatened to break away. The outburst should've been enough to silence the creature, but he started again. "She could be anywhere. And the most likely place... is with the land-dwellers."

He turned his head so the creature couldn't see the tear that slipped out of his eye. Fear? Regret? Yearning? Shame? He didn't know. But his daughter was the heir to the Undine throne. If they didn't find her, or she was taken by the Shadows, he'd never forgive himself. He wouldn't - couldn't - make the same mistake twice. Already the Undine people were angry and afraid of what would happen to them without a leader. And the Shadows had become more bold and aggressive, if such a thing were possible. They had raided many of the small, defenseless villages that lay on the outskirts of the kingdom, and were slowly making their way through the kingdom, toward the castle.

All of these decisions and doubts lay on his shoulders, an ever-present burden. The fate of the Undines, and his own daughter, lay in his hands. But what would he do?

~*~*~*~

A/N

As you can see, I've made some MAJOR changes to this part. Let me know what you think! :)

Vote * Comment * And Keep Reading!
(216 words)