Chapter 13: Water Bending

I sat next to Connor, my head on his shoulder. He twirled my honey-colored hair around his finger. It didn't feel right to have him constantly by my side. I loved him and all, but it's like when you're on vacation and staying in a hotel with family. Eventually, you just want to be alone because they're always there. There's not even a chance to miss them. 

I stood up abruptly and he jumped out of his seat with alarm.

"Are you okay, princess?" He asked, his eyes full of concern.

"I'm fine," I told him, slightly regretting my boldness. "I just need to get out."

"Out?" He asked, raising his brows. He lifted one corner of his mouth in a lazy smile.

I rolled my eyes. "Connor, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I need a breather."

"A breather..." He looked slightly hurt as he put two and two together. "I have orders from the king not to leave your side."

"I know. But... I just need to be alone for a second. To think."

He must've heard the desperation in my voice, because his eyes softened. He walked over to my side, slid an arm around my waist and said, "At least let me escort you to the door... M'lady."

I nodded in defeat. "Okay." 

"And I will have my eye on you."

"Of course," I sighed. 

~*~*~*~

Connor squeezed my hand as he led me towards the palace gates. He glanced behind nervously and opened them, just wide enough for me to go out.

"Be fast," he whispered in my ear. "I'll be waiting for you."

I nodded and slipped through the doors. I swam quickly through the kingdom, vivid fish surrounding me. The Undine people followed me excitedly, burying me with their questions. Finally I'd had enough and swam quickly back towards the castle. I wished I had an invisibility charm so that I could just be

So much for a breather...

Suddenly I halted in my tracks. The roar of the crowd dimmed and it was just me and a dark, evil presence. The shadows in the water flickered and I spun in circles trying to place it's location, though I wasn't completely sure what it was. The shadows closed in on me and I began hyperventilating as claustrophobia took over.

My eyes fluttered closed and I collapsed, the sand flying up in clouds around me.

Blank, white eyes stared into mine.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Just look into my eyes..." A voice hissed. I immediately recognized it as Amara, the assassin.

I gazed into them, shivering with fear. Scenes of destruction and death flashed through their icy depths, making me want to shout. They penetrated my mind, uncovering every memory, ripping apart each of my thoughts.

I screamed and squirmed in her icy grasp and as she continued ripping apart my mind, sifting through my memories.

Finally she stopped. She cursed and then murmured under her breath. I only caught the last part, "My Sight..."