Chapter 12: The Dream

I woke up to the sound of urgent whispering outside my door."She said she saw a shadow. Did you see it?" I recognized Eriladar's voice.

"No, sir. But she was acting strange when I arrived; claustrophobic and... like she was being surrounded... The shadow could have belonged to a passerby..." Connor reasoned, but didn't sound convinced.

I wanted to talk to him, to thank him for arriving when he did. I heard the door open and pretended to still be asleep on impulse. I let my eyes flutter open to cast the illusion that I just woke up and yawned. Sitting up, I greeted him. 

"How did you sleep?" He asked after returning the pleasantry. 

"Good, but I'm starving!"

"I'll walk you to the dining hall," he said.

After I'd eaten, I threw on a cream lacy skirt and a sky blue shirt. I grabbed some slip-ons and put my hair in a lazy braid.

I wanted to tell Eriladar about my dream as soon as possible, but I wanted a break from the action more. I wandered the palace until I arrived at what looked like a room full of instruments. Shelves were carved into the walls, surrounding me on all sides. Most of the space was filled with shells that served as horns and drums. Then I spotted a violin, or at least something like it. With a squeal, I picked it up. It felt like it'd been forever since I'd played. 

I placed the bow on the worn strings and drug it across them slowly, my fingers dancing across the fingerboard. The sound rasped out, gradually evening as I continued. The song burst out of the violin like it'd been trapped inside it for centuries, waiting for someone to set it free. I closed my eyes and danced around the room, spinning and leaping like an astronaut on the moon. I drew the last note out as long as I could and dipped into a graceful bow.

Clapping from the door almost made me fall over and drop the instrument.

"So the princess can play violin... But can she fight?" Connor wondered aloud. A smirk tugged at the corners of his mouth.

All embarrassment fled me as I narrowed my eyes, grinned and said, "Challenge accepted."

~*~*~*~

Connor led me through the palace halls, eventually stopping and opening the doors to a large chamber. One wall was lined with standard swords and other weapons along with several sets of light armor. I wanted to use my own sword, but was too lazy to go to my chambers and get it.

I selected a thin silver sword off the wall that fit in my hand fairly well. Not as well as my own, but it would work for sparring.

Connor was waiting for me across the room. A few other Undines were sparring, mostly guards on break. They bowed as I walked past, but continued at the wave of my hand.

Connor smiled when I reached him. "Ready?"

"Don't go easy on me," I said, returning his smile.

He got in the lunge-like starting position, right leg forward left back, sword slanted slightly forward. I did the same, copying his form. He nodded and we began. Connor was the first to strike, thrusting his sword forward and barely giving me time to parry the blow with the flat side of my sword. I responded quickly, attempting to swipe his legs and throw him off balance, but he jumped up, easily dodging the sweep. Connor responded with a flurry of attacks, so quickly that my answering blocks were sloppy and too close for comfort. He was nimble and quick, often switching his sword hand and catching me off guard. The whole situation made me regret wearing a skirt, as it hindered my movements further.