Chapter 29: Rebuilding

The new ruler of Feales had finally been chosen - three weeks after the death of their previous queen. Connor and I were anxious to return home. The wedding was scheduled to be a few weeks later (to Connor's dismay) but there were much more important matters to attend to. Trocien was in ruins, there wasn't anywhere to get married.

There was also the coronation ceremony. The procedures were similar to when I'd been crowned princess, but I wouldn't have to make a speech. I shivered at the memory of my first crowning. I'd been caught off guard when the crowd stayed silent, waiting for me to speak. I'd had to think of something right there on the spot, as if nerves weren't enough. I far preferred thinking things through.

I organized the volunteers into six groups, each included at least one engineer to oversee the process. I wanted the groups to salvage what buildings they could first then start building new structures from scratch. The repairs would take at least a year if not more and I wished my father were there to help me. There were hundreds of papers to sign and rallying speeches to prepare for the crowds, I was grateful for the schooling he'd given me.

I didn't have a room in the palace, since most of it had crumbled during the attack. Some of the underground chambers remained, like roots too far in the ground to be removed.

A somber realization flitted across my mind: my father would never get to show me those chambers himself. I sighed. I thought I'd gotten over his loss, but the grieving period lasted far longer than I expected. I guess I just hadn't had time to properly mourn him with all that was going on. 

Some days I just lay in bed, staring at the cracked ceiling of the house I was staying in until I fell back asleep. On those days, I didn't get out of bed except to relieve myself. Each day became a struggle to stand up face my new duties and weakened people. Connor was insanely helpful. He always encouraged me and stayed positive, willing to help me sort through various Undine laws or customs I didn't understand. He was also working to build up Trocien's guard, especially since we'd suffered heavy losses from having two wars in a row. We had over twice as many standard spears than we did soldiers; we were stripped to the bone.

The kingdom had reached one of its worst points in history, but we would rebuild brick by brick. The ocean never refuses to stop kissing the shore no matter how many times it is sent away. Our efforts were rewarded in small ways, but we were on the right path to greener pastures. At least I hoped we were. 

~*~*~*~

My eyes fluttered open and I flipped on my back. I'd grown accustomed to the cracks in the ceiling, the way they branched off each other and snaked across the plaster. I sighed and glanced at the stack of paperwork on my nightstand.

I heard movement in the room, someone shifting in a chair. I spotted Connor asleep in the corner, his head titled all the way back. A small smile crept along my face and I settled my head back on the pillow, closing my eyes and willing sleep to return. Just before I could slip into unconsciousness, someone jumped on top of me.

"Connor!" I whined. "I want to go back to sleep. I was up-"

"Late last night doing work." He smiled. "I can already finish your sentences and we're not even married yet!"

I couldn't help but grin. Connor bent to kiss me and I grabbed a fistful of his shirt, tugging him closer. We parted and I, heat rising to my cheeks, realized that the once perfect front of his shirt was now wrinkled. "Oops," I muttered, smoothing it. Connor gazed at me intently, a grin stretching his features, and leaned to kiss me again, then turned at the last second and kissed my cheek instead. He stood and left the room. I threw back the covers and chased after him.

"Connor?"

My feet were silent on the floorboards as I crept towards the main room. I checked behind the furniture, under the table in the kitchen, and in the spare room. "Where are you?" I muttered, fighting the playful smile upturning the corners of my mouth. His arms circled my waist, pulling me close against him. I tilted my head to look at him and he rewarded my efforts with a whisper of a kiss.

Releasing me he said, "Come on, sugar. It's time for breakfast."

"Don't call me sugar," I growled, but that only made his smile widen. 

Daisy had gladly agreed to accompany me to Trocien once we'd received the new king's permission; she was staying in the house with me. Connor was also staying in the house, which was a delightful problem, as he was constantly pestering me.

"Good morning m'lady," Daisy greeted with her sweet dimpled smile.

"Good morning to you too," Connor muttered. I elbowed his ribs and stifled a laugh.

The cooks bustled around the cramped kitchen. Daisy beckoned me to my room to get ready for the day. I took a shower, the first I'd taken in a while. I hadn't felt very inspired to bathe lately. I hadn't much inspiration at all, actually. 

Daisy helped me pick a dress and I brushed my hair out, waving her away. I returned to the dining room and plopped down at the small table. Daisy brought out my plate and I ate quickly, eager to see how the repairs to the city were going. The people had not made very good progress, which was mostly my fault. I hadn't given any inspiring speeches to spur them on, made public appearances, or anything. I hadn't even announced my engagement.

I joined a group of men by using my powers to remove the debris they were clearing. "Nice of you to show up, majesty," one of them spat. 

Connor started towards him but I grabbed his arm to stop him. "Don't. I got this."

"Would you like me to put that back?" I asked sweetly, pointing to the debris I'd just cleared for them.

The man glared at me but said nothing. He wasn't the only one upset with me, multiple glares came my way, I could feel them burning in my back. I grabbed Connor's hand for comfort. They so quickly forget what I lost for them. I squeezed the hilt of Eriladar's sword at my waist with my free hand.

I stayed there for hours, using my abilities to move debris and sweep away forgotten buildings. The city got better with each week, and I was making sure to help with its progress.

Before I knew it, it was coronation day. I was on the same balcony I'd been on the day I became the Undine princess, but this time I wasn't nervous. I'd found where I belonged, and nothing had ever felt so right. The coronation went smoothly, and the crowd erupted in cheers as I rose, crown glittering in the fading light. I had sacrificed everything to get to that day, and despite the pain and loss, I would do it all over again, just for that feeling. Just for the confidence of belonging somewhere after fighting so hard for it. Just for my father. 

~*~*~*~

A/N (1251 words)
Let me know what you thought of this ending - I don't know how I feel about it yet. But I finished Ocean's Call (the rough draft!)!! This took me sooo long to actually write... Leave a comment if you please, check out my other stories, and vote!