Prologue

Dedicated to Peter Spence

The air was cool and crisp as night fell on December ninth, making the teeth chatter and the hands shake of anyone who dared to step foot outside. An Englishman couldn't survive a German winter, the temperature was always at least two degrees colder than on the island. But a German couldn't survive a Russian winter.

All was quiet in the city, beside the odd ring off a bicycle, a mysterious rider flying through the night with what could be vital information for the government. Or, the field master at least. Possible ammunition against the allies circulated her brain as to not forget, like she was revising her time tables or the national anthem, she would be scolded if she forgot. But her mind was so focused, nearing her final destination for the night, she did not notice the figure on the pavement. The only other figure in sight between the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. The figure in futuristic clothes that only one from around here could guess they were from. They did not blend in.

The lowly wind whistled through the gaps and the floor boards creaked as the slightest movement within the small hut were military personnel were positioned to keep guard. Two men sat in silence, their worries and fears slowly eating them away, closer to the edge of the cliff, closer to falling into the endless pit of insanity. Their caps hung low over their faces, attempting to disguise their hollowing eyes from being deprived of sleep for so many nights. Heavy breathing accompanied the whistling wind and the youngest finally met sleep like an old friend: gladly. Five months, since the beginning of August, the pair had been stationed just outside the Reichstag, the political home of Germany in the capital city. For both it had been their first time in the city, but instead of going for adventure and some fun, they were positioned here for quite the opposite. The cities lively and cultured reputation had periodically faded, and darkness and sorrow was taking over. If any night could perfectly represent the emotion and attitude of the mass majority of the cities residents, tonight would be it. Mystery and the sense of the unknown hung at street corners and down dark alleyways, making you scared and timid. No family took their morning strolls or journeys to work with glee or a skip in their step. Instead they crept and scurried wordlessly across streets and into buildings, the likelihood of seeming them until dinner time being slim.

But a light drift of snow was beginning to fall, the first of the year, dusting the pavements lightly with sparkling snowflakes. The oldest of the two men in the hut watched as each flake fell delicately to the floor, sleep was not coming to him as easily as it used to. His arms were folded and his leg crossed over his other, turning away from the window and staring at the floor, zoning out into a dream in hope he would fall into an endless slumber and when he woke up this would all be over. But that dream didn't stand a chance.

Suddenly the door slammed shut with an almighty bang, causing the whole hut to shake and quiver in the unexpected break in the silence. The young boy jolted awake at the commotion as the elder stood up, opening the door and taking a look outside. There was no one. And, the only person he was expecting was Anya with any inside news for Hindenburg, she wasn't due for another ten minutes. His frown deepened as he looked a the door, wondering what could have happened.

"ist alles in Ordnung?" The younger one asked, his face cried worry and his breath was hitched. The elder wasn't up for another asthma attack tonight. (is everything ok?)

"ja, es war nur der Wind." The elder stuck his head out the door again, checking for Anya or anyone else for that matter, before turning back and sitting back in his chair. (Yes, it was just the wind.)

He would tell his younger assistant to go to bed soon, there was no point falling asleep on duty when a bed was being provided inside for these circumstances. His assistant contributed to the majority of his worry, because above all there was one undeniable factor about him that would mentally break him if something was to happen.

He was just too young.