Ten - Zehn - Back for Good

12:00 pm, December 23th 2014, Berlin

Café Einstein was on the corner of the row of shops and business offices that lay opposite the Konzerthaus, where we had attended the opera. In spit of the cold and the crisp air that hung under the faint sunlight today, I had taken a seat outside, snuggling under the blankets they provided on the backs of your chair. I watched the steam rise in rippling waves, up from the hot contents of my mug, their special hot chocolate. The air had its chill, but it was incredibly still and the sun was shining. My oversized sunglasses covered my eyes from the sun. Even thought it was covered by light cloud, it was still making my squint to see anything. The last thing I wanted was frown lines.

People watching was a frequent habit of mine if I was by myself. I would sit outside or in café or restaurant windows and watch people pass by. People of different nationalities and ethnicities, their skin colours creating a beautiful rainbow of variety that made me smile to think we were, as a world, finally becoming more accepting. Beside the few who were excluded for being ignorant and too aloof to fall to the idea of accepting a change that was here to stay, forever. So people watching I had fallen into, sat at a table, watching the hurried Christmas shoppers rush by. Thankfully the numbers of people on the streets had increased today, which brought peace to my mind. No one else was missing as of today.

However, I was one of those last minute shoppers for her Christmas presents to her friends and relatives. Because I wouldn't be seeing half my family this Christmas, due to a barrier consisting of multiple countries, I only had to purchase gifts for the ones who would be by my side in two day's time. For my mother I had purchased some jewellery, I thought she needed a change from the pearls she always wore, so a simply silver chain with her birthstone would be given to her on Christmas morning. For my father, I bought him typical dad things: socks, a new tie and a new, interesting book on the sector he had spent his whole life in – finance. For Jared, he had been a little harder to buy for, as always. So I bought him some vodka and whiskey in a fancy box with bubble wrap. Jared liked both drinks and I knew he would show them off due to the whiskeys multiple decades in storage to age. I could imagine him chortling on about its vintage and only letting certain people try it, like the protective freak he was over his expensive wine and whiskey. Anna had been spoilt. She was slowly releasing her grudge on me for interrupting her one of many moments with Thomas. So I had bought her some new perfume, some matching cashmere gloves to mine and a simple gold bracelet, identical to the silver one I bought along side it. I had also gone to All Saints, one of her favourite shops and bought her a large tan pouch to use at a clutch. I had then got it personalised with her name on it in gold cursive writing.

I had gone to the extent of buying Kurt, Thomas and Roody Christmas presents. I knew they wouldn't receive much when in the trenches and none of them had loved ones waiting at home for them. Not in their century at least. So for Kurt I had bought a similar leather pouch with his name on, some gloves since he kept stealing mine and some chocolate. Thomas and Roody would also receive chocolate. They were simple things but I hoped it would bring a smile onto their faces on the Christian holiday. I had a purpose for Kurt's leather pouch, but I wouldn't reveal its purpose until I saw him again, until I found him again.

Since my cousin was sulking back in her hotel room, I had decided we would go back tonight as my mother confirmed we would only be going out for dinner on Christmas day itself around four o'clock in the afternoon. Not on Christmas eve. Usually we would have fondue on Christmas eve and watch the film "It's a Wonderful Life." With the charming James Stewart in it, along with the famous quote:

"I'll get you the moon Mary, I'll throw a lasso round it and pull it down."

It made my heart flutter each time he said it, that cheeky grin on his face as he tried to impress the girl of his dreams.