Chapter 11-Ashley's POV

“Ashley!!! Someone’s on the phone for you!! Someone with an accent?” My mom calls me, and I pick up the phone in my room.

She doesn’t know about my roommate. I really don’t like telling my parents stuff. “Got it mom!” I can hear her hang up. “Hey, Phil.”

“What happened? Why haven’t you been answering your phone?”

I glance at the pile of glass on my floor. “Umm...I dropped it. Oops.” Suddenly I remember why I dropped it, and my throat clenches.

“Oh. Well, how are things going? Is everything alright?”

I gulp hard, trying to think of a convincing lie. “Uhh..yeah. everything’s perfect.” I can’t think of one. “Hey ummm actually, you know...if you want to...you could stay in England for a few days longer than you were going to. I’m enjoying the family time.”

“Are you sure? You’re really Ok? You know...I don’t really think...”

“No, Phil!” releasing that I yelled, I clear my throat and lower my voice. “No, don’t let me stop you from enjoying your holiday. We can skype later or something.”

I hear shouting in the background. “Ugh. I gotta go, ash. I guess I’ll stay a bit then, if you’re sure you’re ok with it.”

“YeahI’mFineBye.” I mutter hurriedly.

“Bye. Talk to you later.” I press the “End” button on our house phone, sighing. I open my laptop, trying to shake the uneasy feeling I have.

Opening Facebook, I see a new message. ‘Do you really think an extra day will stop me? You fucking imbecile.’ He’s SPYING on me now!!??!!?? I throw my laptop to the side, shattering a corner of that as well, and throw my hands to my face, sobbing into them like a madwoman.

After a few minutes of this, my thoughts flashing by faster than wild horses, I can feel myself imploding. I bury my face in my sweater sleeves, screaming silently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve just been huddled under a blanket, slurping up Ramen noodles and watching cartons all day. They’ve gotten cold, but I couldn’t care less. I just need a day to relax, after everything...

I can hear her pop open the door, muffled voices filling my ears. I could probably make out words if I wanted, but I’m too interested in Tom and Jerry. I laugh half-heartedly, slurping another noodle. I hear the door close, and my mom’s footsteps coming toward me. With another person’s...

Turning around slowly, I see my mom with a tall blonde man. “This poor man’s car broke down, and you know there’s a hurricane in the area...Long story short, he’s going to be staying with us for a few weeks.” I choke on the noodle in my mouth, coughing and unable to stop. The man comes over to me, giving me the heimlich. But instead of just thrusting his hands against me, he adds something else too. I finally stop choking, desperately trying to get out of his grip. My mom closes her gaping mouth, placing her hand on his shoulder. “Thank you, Aaron!” She sighs. “Well, Ashley. Why don’t you show him up to the guest room?”

“Uh...sure. Come on, then...Aaron.” I walk upstairs slowly, until he pushes past me.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t like it, bitch. And I know exactly where my room is. You’re such a fucking idiot.” I continue to stand on the stairs, stunned. How the hell is he so good at this!? Hearing him shut the guest door wakes me up, and I run to my room, slamming and locking the door and flopping onto my bed. The tears flow instantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom, can I use your phone? Mine’s dead and I really have to make a call now.”

“Can’t you use the house-”

“I don’t trust him.”

“You need to have a bit more faith in our guest, child. All you’ve done is harass him.”

“Can I just use your phone?” Sighing, she hands it to me. I don’t want to be eavesdropped on, so I head to the basement, where Aaron isn’t allowed. Even if he’s still asleep, i can’t risk it. I dial with shaky hands, in agony as it rings.

“Hello?”

“Dan. I need your help.”

“What? Ashley?”

“Yes. Just...can you convince Phil not to talk to me for the next week?” I’m shaking harder. “I know he won’t listen to me. Just please, can you talk to him for me? Just tell him that bad things will happen if I talk to him. Please, Dan.”

“I guess I can try. He said you wanted him to stay too, right? He doesn’t think it’s ok...”

“Please make him stay. As long as you can possibly get him too. I really-” y voice cracks. “I’m begging you.”

He pauses, but finally agrees. “I’ll figure something out. Are you ok? I can tell him you’re fine, right?”

“I’ll be fine as long as he-” My voice is shaking beyond control now, and I am sobbing the words. “As long as he stays. thank you, dan. This means more than you can imagine. IGottaGo.”

“I promise I’ll find a way.” His voice is filled with sympathy. “Bye.” I hang up my mom’s phone, shaking with tears.

After an hour of lying on the cool stone floor, I finally have dry eyes and a clear face. You can barely even tell I’ve been crying, and I’m filled with pure hatred now. All the sadness has left me. I know what I have to do, to save Phil’s life.

“Oh, mom. Here’s your phone. Sorry, I forgot to give it back.” I walk into the kitchen, sliding in a chair across from Aaron. “Morning.”

He looks shocked. “Morning, um...I didn’t catch your name.”

“I’m Ashley.” I shake his hand, digging my nails into his skin. “What a pleasure.” When I pull away, I am satisfied with the small amount of blood on my fingers. I wipe it off into a napkin. Payback for all the things he’s ever done to me.

“Oh. I have to go to the store, Ashley. Forgot the eggs. Be back in a bit.” My mom grabs her purse, walking out of the house. “Be nice.”

My dad is at work, my sister is at school, and now my mom has left me alone with Aaron. I thought I could be strong, but I can feel the courage running out of my body with my mother. “Let’s cut to the chase, bitch.”

“Stop calling me that.” I wish I would have thought to call 911 when I was downstairs. Damn it, Ashley. that was your only chance.

“No, bitch. Now listen. I’ll make you a deal.” He lays back in his chair, laying his feet on my legs under the table. Gross. “You love your little fag, right? What’s his name...Phil?” I keep my face blank. Stay strong. Stay strong. “You want to keep him alive?” A mischievous smile crosses his face.

“What exactly do you have in mind?” I say it passively, showing absolutely no emotion, but terrified to the bone.

“Date me. IN PUBLIC. And of course, you know. Every night. Don’t fight.” I choke back tears, needing to stay emotionless.

Either let him date and...invade....me every night...or let Phil die. “How long do I have to do this crap?”

“How long do you want him alive?” I bite the inside of my cheek.

“Won’t he find out though? Once he comes home?”

“I have my methods of keeping secrets.” Aaron stares into my eyes, glaring at my soul.

After thinking for another 30 seconds, I decide what I need to do. Even if it means never being able to see Phil again, at least he’ll be alive. “Fine. I’ll do it.” he sticks out his hand, and I shake it reluctantly.

“Pleasure doing business with you.” A single tear escapes, rolling down my face. Aaron’s eyes follow it. “Bitch.”