Chapter 21-Ashley's POV

I haven’t been able to hold his hand for 20 years. Visiting Hours are a bitch. But now, I get to hold him and kiss him and- I see his black hair outside, and take off, sprinting faster than I ever have to him. I don’t care if I’m a 40-something year old. I’m going to run. I pounce on him, and he falls into the snow. I kiss him for way too long before I get off of him and stand up. “I missed you so much.” I hug him tightly. I’m not letting him go again.

~10 years later~

I still get nightmares. Rape, murder, blood, everything. My scars never faded, and neither did Phil’s, but we both got over self harm once I was out of jail. The wedding was a glorious thing, everyone we’ve ever loved there spending the day with us.

Dan and I both had to go through therapy to get over Aaron’s drugging and abuse, but we got over it. He and Natalie have kids now, in fact. It was surprisingly easy to get him over his fear.

“Phil.” He looks up at me from the seat next to me. “Do you still get airsick?” He looks out the plane window, staring at the cotton candy clouds beneath us.

“Sometimes. But it’s ok now.” He grabs my hand, still looking outside.

“And Phil.” I know he’s listening, even if he just stares. “Thank you.” I pause, squeezing his hand lightly. “From the very first video, I was in love with you, even if I didn’t know it. I wouldn’t be alive without you.” I take a deep breath. “And now you’re all mine. Finally.” I lay my head on his shoulder. “I finally get to have someone who loves me back. For real. Instead of just hurting me all the time, like Aaron. Thank you.” I close my eyes. “It’s all I ever really wanted.”

~Fin~