Chapter 16-Ashley's POV

“Wow. This place is huge.” Phil and I are standing at the gates of a what I thought was small amusement park. I was wrong. Phil’s eyes light up like a child as he pulls me, running through the gates. I can’t believe how stupid I was for thinking that Aaron was the one for me. Although drugs can do that to you, I guess. We got the police after him about four months ago. The day Phil took me out, we found out he was spying on me 24/7, which was the last straw.  He was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Even though he’s not gone forever, I feel much better about it.

”Will you pleaseeeee go on the rollercoaster with me!?”

I think about the facts. I’ve hated them since I was born, but if Phil loves them so much... I chicken out. “No, Phil.” I can feel myself turning red. “I can’t.”

“Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?” He hugs me. “If you do, I’ll give you a surprise!”

“Like last time? Where I just got a kiss?” I smile shyly up at him. The last months have consisted of us living together again, and it feels as if nothing ever even happened. We were never apart. “Cuz I get enough of those.” He plants one on my lips, elaborating.

“No. I promise this one is a thousand times better.”

Still debating, I finally agree. To my relief, Phil picks a tame coaster with no loops. My stomach is in knots the entire wait, and the first thing I do when I sit down in my seat is grab Phil’s sleeve until my knuckles go white.

The ride is even worse than I thought it would be, even if I only saw it from behind squeezed-shut eyelids. I feel sick to my stomach as I get off, but Phil fixes it with a kiss. “Alright. I went on the dumb ride. Now what do I get?”

He looks around, gazing at the crowd around him. A brief look of worry crosses his face, and he says to me, “Later,” kissing me on the cheek. “Promise.”

~That night~

I pick up a rock from beside me, tossing it into the ocean before us. The sun has just sunk under the horizon, and the sky is light purple with evening. I lay my head against Phil’s shoulder, suddenly remembering. “Hey, I never got my surprise.”

“Oh yeah.” He pulls away from me, slipping out of his chair and onto the sand at my feet. he pulls a small silver box out of his pocket. You’ve got to be... “Ash, I’ve known you for a bit over two years. Normally that isn’t enough, but I know I’m hopelessly in love with you. If you don’t feel the same way about me, then there’s no point in trying anymore.” I glance at his shorts, a slight pink line barely peeking out of the bottom. “I will never stop loving you, I can tell. I could never ask for better, and so here I am.” He takes a deep breath. “Ashley, will you-”

“Not fucking today, fag.” I see Phil being gagged and tied by a stranger in an orange jumpsuit, and my vision goes black.