three

threedani

three
dani

I open my eyes only to shut them from the brightness of fluorescent lighting. I sit still for a moment unsure if I want to make any sudden movements. I wasn't sure where I was or entirely if I was anywhere at all. Well one thing's for sure, I was laying down on something semi-comfortable. It could either be a bed or the bed of a casket, not sure if I'm entirely happy with either of those answers.

You're gonna have to open your eyes sometime. I thought to myself. I really didn't want to open my eyes. What if I did, and I was actually in a casket? That would definitely not be cool. Even worse, though, what if my eyes were sewn shut?

You jumped of a bridge and into the river, not off a building and onto the concrete! My thoughts shouted. They were right —well, I was right. There'd be no casket if I actually were successful. So where the hell was I?

Listen.

There was heavy breathing coming from beside me and a faint sound of beeping. Nothing else could be heard, except an occasional squeak of wheels. It was clear to me that I was in a hospital after minutes of concentrating on those sounds. My anxiety began to peak, causing my breathing to become irregular. I hadn't even realized I was breathing until now.

I could hear a door open, and a sudden movement from beside me. My eyes were still closed, I had no intent to open them. The longer I stayed "asleep" the longer I didn't have to live with my own reality.

"Has she woken up?" A low, husky voice filled the room. It didn't sound like any man I knew not even my mom's boyfriend —like he'd actually be here. It was boyish, with a hint of maturity.

Just open your eyes! No.

"No, the doctor said she'd be fine though. She just fell asleep." A different voice spoke beside me. It was Remi. I could recognize her voice from anywhere.

"Oh." The male voice fell silent for a moment and so did Remi. "Well, do you know where her mom is? My dad wants to talk to her."

Mom. Right. As if she would dare miss work for me. Did she even care at all?

"Um...." Remi stalled, she was debating whether to tell him the truth or to deflect the situation with a more passive answer. She did this for me a lot. "I'm sure she'll be here later. You know, early mornings."

Somewhat passive. Good girl.

"Okay, well, can you just let me know if anything changes? I really want to know if she's okay." The boy concluded with a nervous tone. It occurred to me then that he was the guy that got me here. He saved me. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or the worst thing anyone could ever do for me. There were reasons why I wanted to jump. Reasons I had no intent to deal with again, but of course, I had no choice now.