Chapter 9: Unexpected

Morning light broke through the rain clouds, filtering through the window. Elle was able to see the puffs of flour raising into the air. She stood before the counter, with her sleeves rolled up; protected from the dough and flour covering her hands. Her arms were sore from yesterday, and they strained with the labour of kneading the tough dough. Already four loafs were risen and ready for the oven.

She blew a strand of annoying hair out of her face. Breathing back in, she smelled the familiar scent of yeast and flour. Her peace was startled as a young, clumsy maid knocked her hip. Almost stumbling she turned her head about to scold whoever had hit her. However she did not find what she had predicted, but her friend Charrise.

A easy smile came to Elles face at the sight of the familiar caramel eyes beneath brown bangs. A smile much like Elles was on Charrise's face, and Charrise asked, “I finished my chores earlier. I came by to see if you needed any help?” Her voice was playful and kind.

“Sure. I was just about to load these into the oven.” Elle said gesturing to the ready loafs on the counter. Quickly patting off her hands on her apron she handed over two loafs to Charrise. “Maybe if we do this quickly we can go for a quick stroll.” Balancing a loaf on each hand they made there way through the other servants to the ovens.

The heat grew almost unbearable as they approached the immense clay structure. Pausing a few meters away, Elle felt as beads of sweat formed on her forehead. They placed the loafs on a steel plate with a long handle. This was the tool that made Elle able to slide the dough deep inside the oven. From the hot embers, fire licked at the tray that held the dough.

Elle released her breath and carefully retreated. Once they had slipped out from the palace into the grounds Elle wiped her forehead. Before she knew it Charrise was having the reaction she wasn't able to have in the confines of the kitchen. She pulled her into a fierce hug and exclaimed in a muffed voice, “I can't believe that your one of us...”

Elle left out a happy laugh and returned the pressure before pulling back. “It's so great to be able to share this gift with someone else. Especially with you Charrise!” A gleam sparked into existence in Elles eyes. “But I would love you even more if you could tell me what you all are guarding so secretly.”

Charises smile did not visibly fall the slightest, and she replied a little mysteriously. “You will find out soon enough.”

After this Elle dropped the subject, and they fell back into there usually easy chatter. But no sooner had Charrise neared the subject of her family. “Why did they never tell you about us?” Curiosity and concern were in her voice and as they walked she looked at Elles face searchingly.

Elle reached her hand up to finger the pendant at her chest that had once belonged to her father. Only to drop her hand back down when she realized it was hidden under her chemise. Deep inside she still felt the pain of truth. Not feeling ready to answer the question she replied. “I haven’t gone into full detail with my grandmother about it.” Avoiding the question.

Hearing the strain in Elles voice. Charrise just nodded her head. After a period of silence between them Charrise asked curiously, “What do you keep doing with your hand?”

With the subject of her father, Elle had needed distraction from her own thoughts. She had started to practice the hand movements to throw the dagger.

Feeling a bit embarrassed, but trying not to show it, she said. “Oh... is it that noticeable? I'm just practising the motions for dagger throwing.”

“No, not to much. But where are you learning to do that?” Understanding came into her eyes, and she stopped abruptly to grasp Elles hand within hers. “I totally forgot you were being trained by Ruslan!” Then without giving her time to reply, she smiled teasingly. “Do you like him?”