Chapter 5

Every so often, I'll include a chapter from Rachel's life before the story begins. This memory will focus on her first few days at training camp. This one will be a little longer, but I promise they will get shorter.

Rule number 12 in the rule book of The Hunters, "No recruit may be trained in the use of weapons until after the day of his fifteenth birthday".

Unfortunately, I had that rule memorized. I've been hearing it for two years every time I've asked to use a gun.

But finally, "the day of [her] fifteenth birthday" is here. And very, very fortunately, there happened to be a training camp starting on that exact day.

Being the youngest in the entire facility, I was hidden, only the director and my trainer knowing about me. But now, I could pack up all my stuff and get out of this tiny little room and into one of the dorms with a roommate.

Hopefully a roommate of the opposite sex.

I had gone through puberty and hormones with only the tiny television in the corner to teach me what I know. I was so ready to experience it in real life.

"Are you ready?" the Director asked. I'd been struggling to refrain calling him by his name, because that was strictly prohibited. Why? I didn't know.

"So ready." I answered, smiling.

"Your roommate's name is Emily Durham." I was disappointed until I realized that I'd possibly have a friend to stay up late with talking. It brought the smile right back to my face.

}{ }{ }{ }{ }{

I hadn't had any chance to meet Emily. She was gone by time I got there, her stuff already unpacked and neatly set up. I postponed my own unpacking and went to the meeting hall, where everyone would be briefed on the camp.

Walking into the hall, I was met by the the faces of thirty-eight males and one female, who was presumably Emily. I heard intakes of breath, and I put on a sexy smirk. Never before I came here would I have entertained the thought of being seductive, but here...well, how else would I pass the time?

There were a few whistles as I made my way to the last empty seat, swaying my hips. Well so much for using the innocent approach.

The guy on my right instantly put a hand on my thigh. The guy on my left slapped it away.

"Mason, you saw the girl less than two minutes ago and you've already got your hands all over her." The guy on my left looked at me apologetically, holding his hand out, which I took. "I'm Alexander, and, quite unfortunately, you've already met my brother Mason."

I looked at him in awe. I had expected that one guy would push another away from me, but not on the terms of being proper. Mason had blond hair and dark blue eyes, ones that weren't terribly exciting. He was an average height, and had a small build. Alexander was similar to his brother, except hotter, with brown hair and a blue eyes like the ocean. He was tall, lean, and muscular. The perfect combination of looks, in my opinion, was all displayed in him. Even his voice had a certain lilt to it; deep yet soft at the same time, with a twinge of accent that was emphasized by the proper way he spoke.

Alexander was looking down at me now with a weird expression on his face; somewhere between bewilderment and wonder, that quickly disappeared after he realized we were staring at each other. 

I cleared my throat. "Hi, uh, Alexander. And Mason. I'm Rachel." Pushing everything that just happened aside, determined not to lose my sexy appeal, I flashed a smile at them both. 

And with that, our lesson started. Director was up there, explaining everything, and I couldn't help but noticing how their training was different than mine. Director had told me as much, that they were to training for the military and such, and I was going to do something, as he put it "much, much, much more special than that."