I will not break this promise

We tried to sleep through to the next day. Sprinter slept well, but I couldn't sleep at all. The whole night, I couldn't stop staring at what the Deinonychus had done to my son.

Three scars, going across his face. An eyelid torn in half.

What a truly murderous, disgusting species the Deinonychus turned out to be.

Though I couldn't accept it at the time, I knew that no matter what I did to help him, sooner or later, Sprinter would die. There was no way he could survive in a world this cruel without his eyes.

The sun peeked through the horizon, slowly rising above volcanoes while radiating its bright light to the world.

'Sprinter. I am going to go hunt, but in your state, you cannot hunt with me.' I cooed, nudging him.

'But mother... I want to go. I want to show you that I am strong, that I can survive on my own, without my eyes to aid me.'

He reminded me so much of myself when I was younger. I knew how he felt, but I couldn't let him move from where he was.

'You could die if you come...' I said, shutting my eyes. I felt the liquid begin to form in my eyes again, as I imagined him living his entire life sitting around, waiting for me to bring him food... is such a life even worth living...? 'So you must stay here. Don't move from here. An Iguanodon herd is nearby, and you know how many times I have told you that they are dangerous.'

My son clicked in acknowledgment. With that, I knew he would not disobey my instructions. I trusted him.

'I will return soon.'

I turned, and left. Of course, I was extremely worried for him, but I knew that sooner or later, I would have to leave him to find food. Strutting off, I began to think... how long will he survive in such a state? If I were to die, or get hurt, no one would look after him. If starvation didn't kill him first, then a predator will devour him, or maybe some herbivores will attack as they see him as a threat. Even if another pack of Utahraptors were to come across him, they would have no remorse in killing him. After all, looking after him would be too much work, and he would be considered a waste of space in nature.

'Stop thinking like this! He is alive now, and that is all that matters. Don't focus on what could happen, but rather, what is happening now.'

I strode on, until I caught the whiff of some small rodent. It was of the same kind that my mother gave to my siblings, just before she told me of the disgusting abomination that is the Deinonychus.

I narrowed my eyes. 'Focus.'

I turned to my right, and saw that the mammal was hiding somewhere in a small burrow.

'I guess I'll just have to dig it out. It would be the perfect snack for my baby.'

Snarling, I began to dig into the hole, using my claws to sweep away the dust and dirt.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of Iguanodon bellowing... I could hear that they were coming too close to the place where my baby was hiding.

Without second thought, I instantly sprinted back. I could not leave my baby alone near such aggressive herbivores. Food could wait- if anything happened to my son, I wouldn't know what to do. I had been with him for so long, I could not imagine living my life alone, even for one second. He was all I had left...

I could hear the cries of some Iguanodon get more and more aggressive and loud. It was then when I knew, for sure, they had seen my Sprinter.

'NO!' I screamed, as I saw five of the four legged, beaked Iguanodon slowly move towards something in the horizon, leaving their herd to inspect something. Some were rearing up on their hind legs, moaning in a threatening manner. As I ran closer, I could see something small- my son- crouching, and crying out in fear. With no warning, I saw one of the Iguanodon who had reared up on its hind legs stomp towards Sprinter, and come crashing down, slamming its 4 ton body onto the small body of my son. Cracks of bones breaking echoed through the land, and his hair-raising screams for mercy filled my ears.