Chapter 4

The next morning unfolded like most Saturdays the three friends spent together did. They slowly woke up one by one, not putting much rush into their actions. As per usual, Josiah was the first to roll out of bed with his numerous small, frizzy curls matted flat against the side of his head.

Josiah grabbed a fresh, dark purple t-shirt from his dresser and silently walked out of his room with it in his hand. He quietly latched the door behind him so Ayden could continue sleeping. The blonde always slept in for as long as she could on the weekends, and Josiah didn't blame her.

If his body wasn't already trained to wake up early every day, he would love to actually stay in bed until at least eleven every once in a while. Just like today, the latest he could sleep was just before ten.

Yawning and with his shirt draped over a shoulder, Josiah gradually made his way out to the kitchen. He glanced to the couch, and as expected, Carson was still sleeping away. Josiah's lips quirked a little at the sight, but he kept walking past the living room.

Josiah ran a hand through his hair in an attempt to get the little curls to stick out normally. He didn't spend long trying to fix it, and once he stepped onto the cold kitchen tile with his bare feet, he let it go. Josiah flinched at the freezing floor at first, but he soon adjusted to the temperature and crossed over to the refrigerator.

The black-haired guy immediately began picking out the ingredients he knew he would need to make breakfast for the three of them. He knew from months of experience just how many eggs to make or how much pancake mix to poor into the bowl. Josiah loved cooking for his friends, and it had become routine over the last year that most Saturdays he made them all a big breakfast.

Josiah got everything ready and started to heat up the stove as he beat two eggs for Carson as he liked them scrambled. Josiah dropped the eggs in the frying pan and started to scramble them as he poured the pancake batter out onto the skillet in two circles.

As he cooked, the smell of cooking butter and frying eggs wafted up to him and caused his stomach to rumble.

Like normal, the delicious and taunting scent of the food, woke Carson up. He popped his indigo eyes open and his empty stomach flopped around, telling him how hungry he was.

The younger boy sat up on the couch and realized there was a blanket all tangled up in his legs. He stared for a second before he realized Josiah must have covered him up again. Carson knew Josiah always brought him a pillow and a blanket if he fell asleep before the others.

Carson rubbed at his eyes and then unsteadily got to his feet. Josiah heard his friend's footsteps, and turned to see Carson rubbing sleep from his eyes as he walked to the kitchen.

"Morning sleepyhead," Josiah said with a smile.

"Morning," Carson mumbled, voice thick from just waking up. He glanced at his friend and then raised his eyebrows. "Joe, why are you wearing your shirt like that?"

Josiah flipped the pancakes and looked down at himself, not sure what Carson meant. "Oh, shit," he said with a laugh. The purple fabric was still simply laying over his shoulder. "I forgot to put it on."

Carson rolled his eyes and laughed. He wasn't going to complain, though. Trying not to sound creepy or anything, but Carson couldn't deny that Josiah's sinewy muscles and lean, fit chest made his mouth water. Of course Carson knew he couldn't stare or anything, but there wasn't anything wrong with a little subtle looking every now and then.

"Car?"

The brunette shook his head and raised his eyebrows in question just as Josiah turned around. "What?"