Pasta People

"You're staring." He commented as he drove.

I debated denying it, but ultimately decided against that. He knew I was checking him out and I couldn't claim I wasn't. That would be lying.

And I was like George Washington. Lincoln? Ether way I did not chop down the apple tree.... or was it cherries?

I closed my eyes, before retorting, "You're staring too." It was lame, but my mind was blank.

He laughed, but his voice died out quickly. He looked over at me and in that moment, all I could see was regret.

"California..." He started, and I flinched hearing my full name.

"It's okay." I interrupted. I knew what was coming.

"No, it's not okay." Anger filled his handsome features. "I acted so horribly. I acted like a complete jerk. And for what? I should have listened. I should have trusted you. But I was so hurt that I.." His voice cracked.

I reached out and grabbed it. "I know. And it's okay. What's in the past is in the past. We have to move on."

Relief spread across Nolen's face. I watched as his eyes returned to normal, and a smile began to form on his lips. And I loved it. I loved watching him feel good.

"What did I do to deserve a girl like you?" He muttered quietly, but I didn't miss it.

"I don't know, I'm pretty special after all." I flipped my hair.

His eyebrow shot up. "Someone's cocky."

"That's my name."

We drove up to the main part of town. I knew of a few places to eat along the main square, and immediately started plotting where he was talking me. There was an Indian place, a pasta and pizza place, and a few others.

To my surprise, we continued past the restaurants I knew of and parked off a side street.

"Where are we going?"

He winked at me. "There's this great restaurant that's hidden from most people. I know you'll love it."

I shrugged. Okay. I trusted him, and so I continued to follow him down the street.

We got to a house that looked old and antique, and I realized there was a font written on top of the door. In cursive said 'Dilisio's". I smiled once I breathed in a wonderful Italian aroma.

We walked in, and the inside was super cute. Tables were spread and fancy silverware was placed on them. Romantic music steamed through the air. Candles were placed on the table. The place was fancy, but also down to earth and cute at the same time.

The restaurant was actually pretty busy, despite the quiet atmosphere it displayed from the outside. I noticed a table for two in the corner, and a lady gestured for us to sit down there. She followed us, placing menus down.

"This is so cute." I murmured to Nolen after she left. He nodded, smiling.

"I thought you would like it." He smiled. That's right, he smiled. Not a smirk, but a true smile with teeth and everything. My heart beat faster.

A waiter, whose name was Don, came over, and took our drink orders, which were just water. I knew Nolen and his dad were tight for money sometimes, so I didn't want to order anything too expensive. Glancing at the menu, I decided on pesto pasta which was priced reasonably compared to the other dishes.

Nolen ordered the same thing, and smiling, Don took our menus. I leaned back in my chair and looked at Nolen.

"So, is this where you take all the girls?" I teased, only slightly curious about his answer.

Nolen shook his head. "No, I've actually only been here one time before, with my dad when I turned 16.  We wanted to go to a special dinner, but the other restaurants were too busy. We put out names in and went for a walk, and stumbled across this place."

I grinned at the cute story. Nolen's eyes lit up when he talked about his dad. It was clear they had a great relationship. If only I had something like that with my parents.

"Actually," he blushed, "this is my first official date."

I looked at him, slightly shocked. To play it off, I tilted my head. "Oh, so this is a date now?"

"Yep." He answered honestly. Then his face became serious. "California, I know we said that we wouldn't put a label on this, but I want you to know that I..."

"And here's your food." Don interrupted, and I noticed a hint of annoyance cross Nolen's face.

I shook it off and grabbed the plate that was placed before me. The pesto looked fresh and yummy, and was steaming.

Nolen watched me with amusement as I stuffed my face. Screw being ladylike, I needed to eat.

Once we both had finished, Nolen paid. Try as I might, he didn't allow me to give him money, which made me super uncomfortable. Also, I felt flattered. The bad boy was a gentleman, and though I knew that long ago, I was reminded of it as he pulled back my chair and helped me stand up.

Gosh, I really, really liked him.

We drove away from the main part of town, and I recognized a familiar ice cream shop. It was the same one we had first gone to on the bucket list.

I had forgotten about the bucket list, and it dawned on me that we hadn't done it in a while. I kept the thought to myself, knowing I would bring it up later.

The sun had gone down, and although a few families ran around with their kids getting ice cream, Nolen and I sat in his car, finishing ours. The windows were rolled down and fireflies lit up the ground.

Suddenly, I felt something touch my hand. I glanced down, and a smile slowly formed on my lips as I held hands with Nolen. His finger carved circles into my skin, feeling soft and intimate.

I knew there was no place I'd rather be at that moment. I forgot all my problems at home and with Sidney, knowing I could be unaware for now. I leaned back, under the stars and the lights of the fireflies, and let myself relax into his touch.

---------------------------
I wasn't going to update this soon, but I had been working on it a couple days ago. When I saw all of @BlueBelle327 's wonderful votes, I knew I had to finish it. So I finished this chapter on my messed up phone. There may be mistakes since I haven't properly edited, but enjoy!