NINETEEN

Sawyer nestled into the front scruff of her coat zip as the snow began to fall, her hood yanked up as she and Maverick trudged through the forest against its direction as Maverick continued to insist he could walk her all the way to her house, Sawyer objecting that she'd receive a scolding, without name giving, if she allowed him to do so.

"I can walk myself, I'll be fine I promise," she laughed tiredly, her voice slightly muffled by her coat as she clutched to it for warmth, his perseverance only urging on at her defiant disagreeing.

"You wouldn't even let me drive you halfway, I've left my truck at the coffee shop," Maverick playfully protested as he openly spoke, his boots sinking slightly into the snow, "the least you can do-" he suddenly jogged slightly ahead, twisting on his heel to stop Sawyer in her track as he blocked it, "is let me walk you home," he softly smiled.

Sawyer stared up at him from the cover of her eyelashes, slightly furrowing her eyebrows as she nestled into her hood, "Maverick, you seem genuinely lovely, not to mention extreme eye-candy and all-" he laughed, "and I've adored your company, but I'm not obligated to show you my house," she mustered out, her paranoia suddenly creeping on her as he shook his head in confusion before suddenly realising.

"No, no, no, not like that-" he suddenly blurted out, stepping foreword to her as she suddenly fumbled desperately for the assuring touch of her knife in her coat pocket as he placed both hands on her shoulders, gazing down at her, "I would never do that to someone like you, I just want you to be safe, you never know who might randomly hit you with an arrow," he playfully ushered as she slowly let go of the knife, her eyebrows un-creasing as a small smile grew on her face.

Remaining silent, she averted her eyes from their shared stare and sheepishly glanced down to her feet, her paranoia silently still evident before he eventually breathed out in defeat, "promise me you're not on a suicidal mission and that's why you want to walk yourself home alone?" he questioned as she blurted out a laugh, shaking her head with a confirmation, "no, but not like that matters to you at all," she retorted playfully.

"There's more than meets the eye, Sawyer Emerson," he smirked, her heart however immediately dropping at the fact he'd addressed her surname as she feigned a smiled, nerves suddenly gushing through her, "I hope to see you around," he added before slowly stepping out of her way, "you can't escape me now alright-" he playfully laughed as she awkwardly returned a forced one, giving him a slight wave as he allowed her to walk past, Sawyer intricately watching him until he disappeared out of sight. As soon as he had, she turned on her heel and sprinted into the western edge of the forest, half thankful she'd pre-cautiously led him in the wrong direction.

She was consumed by confusion as she ran to the safe-house, a lump forming furiously in her throat as she realised how corrupt her life was sadly growing to become. She was bewildered as to why she was a target by all these people, after-all, it had begun before she met Barnes and she'd had no association with massive, dangerous cliques or agencies beforehand. It terrified her half to death that her own life wasn't at all her own anymore as she sprinted up the porch steps and rushed into the safety of the safe house hallway, however not before she was instantly met with a concerned faced Clint.

"Clint?" she stammered out, breathlessly staring at the packed bags by his feet as she clambered to catch her breath.

"Steve's called, Sawyer, they need you back in Washington immediately."

06/07/2012
KOH LANTA, THAILAND
SAWYER'S FIRST VISIT