Ep. 13- Shakespeare Minds

Mickayla lounged in the console room of the TARDIS, her legs tucked underneath her where she sat cuddled in the Doctor's swivel-chair- he'd long since learned that he couldn't keep her out of it.  She was absorbed in a book, whiling the hours away as she drank in the literature.

            She used to read all the time back home; when she wasn't doing chores, or homework, or practicing her music, she had her nose wedged between the covers of a good, cozy-up-on-the-sofa novel.  But since moving in with the Doctor, she'd hardly had time for reading.  Mickayla had very nearly forgotten how pleasureful it was to sit and be idle.  To fill her brain with words and ideas.

            "Mickey?" She completely didn't hear the Doctor as he entered the console room.

            "Mickey!" He clapped hard, causing her to nearly jump out of her skin as she harshly slammed her book shut.

            "Don't do that, Doctor!"

            "Hello, and welcome back." He looked at her amusedly, and she scowled in return as she settled back down.

            "You're in a time machine with all of time and space at your fingertips, just waiting to be explored- and you're cooped up inside, reading a book! What are you reading, anyway?" She held it up for him to see as he asked, and he read the title aloud.

            "Hamlet- you like Shakespeare, then?"  He said, his face lighting up suddenly.

            "No, I love it. It was my favourite subject in English class."

            She eased herself back into her book, which was more of a script than a novel, swiftly finding her page again.  The Doctor did whatever he does at the control panel, the only sounds to interrupt them being the occasional noises of the TARDIS, and Mickayla's periodic page-turning. The Doctor was the first to speak, a few sonnets later.

            "Would you like to see it?"  He asked, out of the blue.

            "See what?" She was still focused on the poetry.

            "The play. The original Hamlet on stage."

            "You don't mean-"  Her neck snapped up, her eyes growing wide.

            "-the genius himself."

            "No way!"  She smiled ear to ear.

            "Oh yes!"

            "Can we really?" Her smile stretched wider.

            "Oh, Mickayla Cumber, for shame! After all the months we've been travelling together and you still ask that!" He teased in mock disappointment, "Oh, and, you may want to change into something more... of the period. Shakespeare... can't be trusted with tight clothes." He said delicately.   Mickayla dashed away to the wardrobe.

            She returned in a light yellow dress- not a vibrant shade, but modestly dim, with a pattern of little red and green roses. On cue, the TARDIS rattled about as it maneuvered the time vortex, and the Doctor and Mickayla stepped out into Elizabethan London together.

            "Good 'ol 1600, right on the button.  Whaddaya think?"  The Doctor asked as he introduced her to the era.

            "I don't even know. I mean, I'm here to see Shakespeare- actual Shakespeare, and..." her voice trailed off, but the Doctor understood everything by the look on her face. "You know, it's a lot filthier than I'd have thought."  She commented upon regarding the streets.